Telšiai Bishop Vincentas Borisevičius Priest Seminary
Telšiai Bishop Vincentas Borisevičius Priest Seminary (Lithuanian: Telšių Vyskupo Vincento Borisevičiaus kunigų seminarija) is a Roman Catholic seminary in Telšiai, Lithuania. It was founded in 1927 by the first Bishop of Diocese of Telšiai Justinas Staugaitis.
After the establishment of Diocese of Telšiai in 1926, Bishop Justinas Staugaitis expressed his worries about the education of Diocese's priests whereas in Kaunas priest seminary there were only 26 Samogitian seminarians at that time. On 4 October 1927 Priest seminary in Telšiai was opened. First rector of the seminary became Vincentas Borisevičius, who later became the second bishop of Telšiai.
After the Soviet occupation in 1940, the seminary was closed. By that time it had educated 150 priests. It was reopened in 1941 however in 1946 it was closed again.
Seminary in Telšiai was only re-established in 1989 by Bishop Antanas Vaičius. Now, the seminary also has a preparative faculty as well as minor seminary in Žemaičių Kalvarija. From 2015 until 2018 the rector of the seminary was dr. Ramūnas Norkus. In 2018 he was replaced by dr. Saulius Stumbra.
Rectors of the Seminary
- 1927-1940 - Vincentas Borisevičius
- 1940-1946 - Pranciškus Ramanauskas
- 1946-1989 - Seminary was closed due to the Soviet occupation
- 1989-1993 - Kazimieras Gasčiūnas
- 1996-1997 - Steponas Brazdeikis
- 1997-2003 - Algis Genutis
- 2003-2006 - Antanas Lapė
- 2006-2008 - Vygintas Gūdeliūnas
- 2008-2011 - Jonas Ačas
- 2011 - 2015 - Viktoras Ačas
- 2015 - 2018 - Ramūnas Norkus
- Since 2018 - Saulius Stumbra
|This Lithuanian university, college or other education institution article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|