The campus encompasses 600 acres (2.4 km2) of land. The university consists of 7 buildings they are administrative building, University College, University College of Law, University College of Commerce and Management, two hostels one for girls and other for boys. Telangana University was established through Act Number 28 of 2006, state government, to cater to the academic pursuits of the backward and rural student community of Nizamabad and Adilabad districts.
It was established at Dichpally of Nizamabad district. The State Government handed over around 577 acres of land in Suddapally and Nadipally villages of Dichpally Mandal to the university.
The university introduced 6 postgraduate courses in September, 2006, 7 Courses were added during 2007-2008 and 5 courses were included in 2008, raising the number of courses to 18. Till 2008 university functioned at Girraj Govt. College (Autonomous), Nizamabad. In 2009 it shifted to its own campus at Dichpally.
Telangana University is recognised by the University Grants Commission under section 2(b) and 2(f) of the U.G.C.Act. The University is the 3rd largest government universities in the state of Telangana after Osmania and Kakatiya universities.
The university became a member of Association of Indian Universities. Telangana University has taken over the affiliation status from Osmania University and Kakatiya University to recognize degree, postgraduate, B.Ed and other colleges of Nizamabad & Adilabad districts. Now, the jurisdiction of the University is extended to Nizamabad & Adilabad districts, covering 149 Degree, postgraduate, B.Ed and other colleges from 2011. The university is planning to introduce Credit Base Choice System (CBCS) gradually to assess the academic performance of the students.
The university offers 18 courses with 1250 students pursuing their studies in courses at University Main Campus and the South-Campus of Bhiknoor, Nizamabad District both abutting the National High Way 44. . Accommodation is provided separately for girls and boys with furnished hostels and playgrounds within.
Steps are being taken to develop playgrounds opposite the classroom complex and girls hostel. Massive planting is going on to make Telangana University into a green campus. The plantation works are done under the National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme. The campus will soon have avenue of trees, nursery beds and landscape designing.
- The campus of Telangana University is located abutting the National High Way 44 (formerly NH 7) at Dichpally, which is 13 km away from the Nizamabad city and the located on Hyderabad and Nagpur National Highway.
- Dichpally Station is the nearest railway station. Nizamabad has a train route in Secunderabad-Manmad section of the South Central Railway.
- There is a bus almost every 10 minutes from the TSRTC Jubilee Bus Station of Secunderabad to Nizamabad, which is located at around 140 km distance from Secunderabad.
- The campus is connected to the Hyderabad and Nagpur highway. The town of Armoor is just 22 kilometers from the campus and town of Kamaredy is 40 kilometers from the campus.
- The Dichpally campus is bosting with professional courses like LL.B., LL.M., M.B.A and M.C.A.
South Campus Bhiknoor
The postgraduate college, Bhiknoor, was started in 1976 under the Six Point Formula programme with the objective of establishing postgraduate centres in rural areas. It was established under Osmania University. PG College Bhiknoor commenced with M.Sc. (Chemistry) with specialization in Agrochemicals, Fertilizers, Pesticides as job-oriented courses with an intake of 12 students. Some students have gone on to pursue Ph.D programmes.
The South campus of Bhiknoor has about 50 acres. Bhiknoor PG Centre was taken over by Telangana University from Osmania University during 2010 and is renamed as Telangana University South-Campus, Bhiknoor. A few courses have been shifted from Main Campus to South-Campus, Bhiknoor. The campus offers four courses where 250 students are pursuing their studies. The South campus has recognition for M.Sc. Organic Chemistry course. A number of students of M.Sc. Organic Chemistry were selected for a CSIR Junior Research Fellowship.
During 2006 the university started with six programmes with an intake of 28 in each programme and added seven more programmes in 2007. Five more courses were launched in 2008 thus raising the total number of courses offered at Telangana University to 18 with an intake capacity to 28 in all the postgraduate programmes except MBA, MCA & LLB which has an intake of 30 each.
- "Foundation stone laid for Telangana University". Hindustan Times (New Delhi, India) – via HighBeam (subscription required). 29 July 2014. Archived from the original on 24 September 2015. Retrieved 28 June 2007.
- "Reports on Aspergillus Findings from Telangana University Provide New Insights". Biotech Week – via HighBeam (subscription required). 29 July 2014. Retrieved 16 November 2011.[dead link]
- Telangana University at Nizamabad