|4th & 5th Deputy Governor of Rivers State|
26 October 2007 – 29 May 2015
|Preceded by||Tele Ikuru|
|Succeeded by||Ipalibo Banigo|
29 May 2007 – 25 October 2007
|Preceded by||Gabriel Toby|
|Succeeded by||Tele Ikuru|
Telenyem Renner Ikuru
24 February 1966
Port Harcourt, Rivers State, Nigeria
|Political party||People's Democratic Party|
|Spouse(s)||Dr Mina Ikuru|
|Alma mater||Rivers State University of Science and Technology|
Telenyem Renner Ikuru (born 24 February 1966), commonly known as Tele Ikuru, is a Nigerian engineer and politician. He was first elected Deputy Governor in 2007 on a PDP ticket with Gov. Celestine Omehia. After the court annulled Omehia's election that year, he was picked to serve under Chibuike Amaechi and was reelected to the office in 2011.
Early life and education
Tele Ikuru was born and raised in Port Harcourt, Rivers State. His family roots are originally from Andoni. In 1992, he earned a Bachelor of Technology (B. Tech.) degree in Mechanical Engineering from the Rivers State University of Science and Technology.
Tele Ikuru was a Principal Technical Assistant at the Shiroro Hydroelectric Power Station during his National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) programme. After completing his service (which lasted a year), Ikuru worked for various investment and construction companies, then taught at Kenneth Commercial School and Allenco Comprehensive Secondary School. He also worked at the Logos Community Bank in Port Harcourt. In 1996, he got a job with the Shell Petroleum Development Company, where he worked as an Oil/Chemical Spill Clean-Up Supervisor until 1999.
Tele Ikuru served as Commissioner of Agriculture and Natural Resources from 1999 to 2003. He was moved to Housing and Urban Development as pioneer Commissioner from 2004–06. In 2007, Ikuru ran for, and was elected Deputy Governor alongside gubernatorial candidate Celestine Omehia. After their election was annulled that year, he was adopted and served two terms in office under Governor Chibuike Amaechi.
Tele Ikuru is married to Dr Mina ikuru who is a brilliant medical practisioner in pediatrics. They are happily married with four children.
Honors and awards
Ikuru has received several awards and honors, which include:
- Fellow, Institute of Corporate Executives of Nigeria (FICEN).
- Fellow, Nigerian Institute of Mechanical Engineers (FNIMechE).
- Fellow, Nigerian Society of Engineers (FNSE).
- Member, Council for the Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria (COREN).
- Member, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME).
- Omehia, Celestine (2011). A Right to Be Wrong. AuthorHouse. p. 81. ISBN 1456785680. Retrieved 27 March 2015.
- "Engr. Tele Renner Ikuru, FNSE". COREN. Retrieved 27 March 2015.
- "Amaechi's deputy, Ikuru, defects to PDP". The Punch. 23 March 2015. Archived from the original on 23 March 2015. Retrieved 27 March 2015.
- "Villagers chase away Tele Ikuru's men". The Port Harcourt Telegraph. 4 February 2005. Retrieved 25 March 2015 – via Onlinenigeria.com.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tele Ikuru.|