Telenor Serbia

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Telenor Serbia
Native name
Теленор Србија/Telenor Srbija
Limited liability company
Industry Telecommunication
Predecessor 063 Mobtel Srbija
Founded 1994
Headquarters Belgrade, Serbia
Area served
Key people
Ingeborg Øfsthus (CEO)
Revenue Increase 391.54 million (2013)[1]
Increase €97.31 million (2013)[1]
Total assets Decrease €367.34 million (2013)[1]
Total equity Increase €287.13 million (2013)[1]
Number of employees
Parent Telenor

Telenor Serbia (full legal name: Telenor Srbija d.o.o. Beograd),[2] a subsidiary of Norwegian telecommunications company Telenor, is a Serbian mobile network operator based in Belgrade.


063 Mobtel Srbija logo (1994-2005)

Originally launched in 1994 as Mobtel, the company's operation was a joint venture founded in 1994 between Moscow-based BK Trade and government-owned PTT.

The first NMT network was announced on December 31, 1994. The signal covered major urban areas and highway routes - 60% of Serbia's inhabited territory and 12% of Serbia's land area. This service is not commercial anymore. The MSISDN Network Code was 061 (international: +381 61); this code is now appointed to Vip Mobile. The GSM network has been in use since 1996.

In 2005 BK Trade sold its shares to a consortium of Austrian investors (through Holdenhurst Holding headed by Martin Schlaff) and the company was renamed Mobi 063. It was purchased by Telenor on July 31, 2006 for 1.513 billion. The Norwegian company outbid such industry heavyweights as TeliaSonera, France Télécom, Deutsche Telekom, Mobilkom Austria, Orascom Telecom and Tele2.[3]

In 2006, majority stake in Mobi 63 was sold (70% of the state had) Norwegian Telenor in a billion and 513 million Euro which allowed him to take over the remaining 30% stake of Austrian consortium. The condition for the acquisition of the remaining 30% of shares were bid higher than one billion and 100 million euros. On 31 August 2006, Mobi 63 officially became the property of Telenor and changed its name to Telenor d. o. o.

In January 2010, Telenor Serbia acquired a landline operating licence ending the monopoly held by Telekom Srbija.[4]

On April 26, 2013, Telenor Serbia bought 100% of shares of the Serbian "KBC bank". With that transaction, 81,000 clients of the former bank were taken by Société Générale Srbija.[5] Since September 10, 2014, "Telenor banka" is in operation on the Serbian market.[6] In August 2017 Bulgarian investment fund River Styxx Capital has reached an agreement with Serbia's Telenor Banka to acquire 85 percent of its shares, while Telenor will maintain the remaining 15 percent.

Mobile telephony[edit]

Telenor has a license to operate GSM networks in the range 900 - MHz {} - and 1800 - {MHz} - and UMTS / IMT 2000 network in the range 2100 - {MHz } -. This license is received 31 December 2006. It is valid for 10 years with the possibility of renewing the license for an additional 10 years.

Telenor Serbia GSM signal covers 95% of Serbia's inhabited territory and 90% of Serbia's land area. The company has more than 1033 active base transceiver stations (BTS) which cover all urban and suburban areas, major highway routes, and tourist centers. It has 2.96 million customers. The IMSI Network Code of Telenor is 220-01 and the MSISDN Network Codes are 062 (international: +381 62), 063 (international: +381 63) and 069 (international: +381 69).

  • Coverage of the territory of Serbia GSM signal is 90.73%
  • Coverage of the population of Serbia GSM signal is 99.15%
  • Coverage of the territory of Serbia UMTS signal is 62.24%
  • Coverage of the population of Serbia UMTS signal is 82.45% [7]
  • Identification code (IMSI) Telenor is 220-01, and phone numbers of Telenor as' '062' '(International +381 62),' 063 (International: +381 63) and '069' '(International +381 69).
  • Roaming is enabled in the 158 'countries, or in the' '369' networks of foreign mobile operators, '2' 'Marine,' 1 'cheap and' 1 'satellite network.
  • During 2013, Telenor has built '372' 'of new base stations, so that their total number at the end of 2012 amounted to' '3048.' [8]
  • At the beginning of 2011, Telenor is put into operation one of the most modern data centers in South East Europe - Telenor - Tier 3 {} - 'data center, which houses the new core Telenor network.

Network technology[edit]

  • 2G (GSM, GPRS, EDGE up to 250 kbit/s) on 900 MHz and 1800 MHz
  • 3G (HSPA+ up to 42 Mbit/s) on 900 MHz and 2100 MHz
  • 4G (LTE up to 50 Mbit/s) on 800 and 1800 MHz

3G network[edit]

EDGE network which represents 2.75 generation mobile telephony or weak 3G has the same coverage as the GSM networks. This network has been in commercial operation since November 2004.

Its UMTS, HSDPA and HSPA + (3G and 3.5 G - generation mobile telephony) signal Telenor covers over 82% of Serbia's population [7]

Telenor Serbia 3G network supports the following technologies in over 250 cities throughout Serbia, as well as all major roads WCDMA, HSDPA, HSPA and HSPA + with the following maximum theoretical speeds:

  • HSPA + 42 - up to 42 Mbit/s when downloading flow up to 5.76 Mbit/s when sending data flow
  • HSPA + - up to 21 Mbit/s when downloading flow up to 5.76 Mbit/s when sending data flow
  • HSPA - up to 14.4 Mbit/s flow downloading and up to 2 Mbit/s when sending data flow
  • HSDPA - up to 7.2 / 3.6 Mbit/s when downloading and flow rates up to 384 kbit/s when sending data flow.

4G network[edit]

In the middle of 2010, Telenor has started a project of recovery of the existing network (NGN transition), as the main precondition for the introduction of next-generation mobile telephony (4G) and supporting advanced services. On the realization of the project involved the companies' '- Ericsson {} -' '- Nera {} -' 'and' '- {LG} -'.

Fixed telephony[edit]

In 2010, Ratel delivered Telenor the second license for fixed telephony, which officially abolished the monopoly Telekom Serbia in this field. Telenor was obliged to start providig fixed telephony services.

By signing the first commercial contract to provide fixed telephony services on 20 January 2011, Telenor has met the formal requirements of the license for the second fixed telephony operator. In order to further the development and provision of services in fixed telephony, Telenor announced that in order to set the optical infrastructure through the main routes in Serbia and changes the access network in mobile telephony in order to access broadband Internet easier and faster for many citizens, while not resolve the remaining outstanding issues related to the provision of services in the field of fixed telephony in Serbia regarding the use of infrastructure Telekom Serbia.


On 26 April 2013. Telenor said it has reached an agreement on the purchase of KBC Bank in Serbia. According to the agreement, Telenor will buy 100% stake in KBC Bank, while Societe Generale Bank will take the portfolio of clients of KBC Bank, which includes 81,000 individuals, entrepreneurs, small and medium enterprises. In August 2017 Bulgarian investment fund River Styxx Capital has reached an agreement with Serbia's Telenor Banka to acquire 85 percent of its shares, while Telenor will maintain the remaining 15 percent.[9] According to media reports, as of July 2017, the bank has more than 300.000 opened MC accounts.[9]


'With Wikimedia'

On 28 February 2012, Telenor Group and the Foundation Commons announced a partnership under which the Telenor customers in Asia and Southeastern Europe be given free access to Wikipedia through a mobile phone. The offer is available to 135 million mobile users. The partnership has so far escaped the seven countries where Telenor operates Thailand, Malaysia, Pakistan, Bangladesh, India, Montenegro and Serbia, and it is expected that by the end of the year will be even a signatory. This agreement will begin to be implemented in the second quarter 2012.

'With Ministry of Internal Affairs'

On 17 June 2011, Serbian Interior Minister Ivica Dacic and Telenor CEO Kjell Morten - Johnsen signed an agreement on the application of filters to block access to illegal websites with elements of sexual abuse of children and presented to the public details of the project.

As mentioned, Telenor users that the mobile phone or computer tries to access a website with illegal content, it will automatically be informed that tries to access forbidden sites, and the Interior Ministry will strive to establish such cooperation with other operators in country.
'With service Deezer'

On 4 February 2013, Telenor is based on partnership Telenor groupwith one of the biggest music streaming service in the world- Deezer, the market of Serbia introduced a new platform (based on the cloud) to listen to music and access, as well as a new service in its offer entitled Telenor Dizer. Service has a range of over 25 million tracks local and foreign artists that can listen in online and offline mode.


  1. ^ a b c d e Основни подаци из консолидованог финансијског извештаја за 2013. годину. Agencija za privredne registre Srbije (in Serbian). Retrieved 15 July 2014. 
  2. ^ Serbian Chamber of Commerce
  3. ^ TeleGeography (2006-05-16). "Ten bid for Serbia's Mobi 063". 
  4. ^ Telenor gets Serbia's fixed phone license
  5. ^ Nišavić, D. (26 April 2013). "Telenor kupio KBC banku, klijente preuzima Sosijete ženeral". (in Serbian). Retrieved 9 December 2014. 
  6. ^ "Norway's Telenor Opens Serbia's Most Available Bank". 12 September 2014. Retrieved 9 December 2014. 
  7. ^ a b Cite error: The named reference Ratel_report_2013. was invoked but never defined (see the help page).
  8. ^ Cite error: The named reference Ratel_Report_2013. was invoked but never defined (see the help page).
  9. ^ a b "Bugarski investicioni fond kupio Telenor banku". 

External links[edit]