|Launched||August 2011 (first test broadcast)
September 30, 2011 (regular broadcast)
November 14, 2011 (full channel launch)
|Owned by||Beginnings at Twenty Plus, Inc.
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)|
|Slogan||"Bringing You Closer To Life's Drama" (1st slogan, 2011-2017)
"Ang Buhay ay Masaya Dahil Mayroong Drama (Life is Fun Because There is Drama)" (2nd slogan, 2011-2013)
"Drum up the Drama with Telenovela Channel" (2017-present)
|Headquarters||Makati City, Philippines|
|Channel 20 (SD)|
|Channel 81 (Digital)|
|Channel 81 (Digital)
Channel 103 (Analog)
Telenovela Channel (informally abbreviated TNC, stylized as TeleNovela Channel) is a telenovela-based cable channel in the Philippines network owned by Beginnings at Twenty Plus, Inc. with the partnership of Televisa. The channel operates non-stop 24/7.
It is the first and only telenovela channel. It aired its first test broadcast from August to September 2011; regular broadcast started in November 14, 2011. First in Asia, the channel will afford viewers the chance to watch their favorite Televisa-produced Mexican telenovelas anytime of the day. The Telenovela Channel has been made possible through a partnership between Beginnings at Twenty Plus, Inc. and Televisa, which is the exclusive producer of telenovelas for this channel.
Telenovela Channel is aired on Sky Cable Channel 81, Destiny Cable Channel 81 (Digital), Cablelink Channel 54, Cignal Channel 20 and more than 150 provincial cable television providers nationwide.
The Philippines has already aired Latin American telenovelas on free TV networks such as RPN 9 (since 1994 with La Traidora), ABS-CBN 2 (since 1996 with Maria Mercedes), ABC 5 (now TV5 (since 1996 with Morena Clara) and GMA 7 (since 1996 with Agujetas de color de rosa). The telenovelas aired on Philippine TV, especially those produced in Mexico, were dubbed in Tagalog and were shown in primetime slots.
However, the late 2000s saw the dwindling popularity of the Latin American telenovelas as Asianovelas (especially those with Korean-produced dramas) became more dominated into the primetime slot. The last telenovela aired on free TV was the Telemundo-produced Lola, aired on GMA Network in 2013 and immediately axed due to low ratings after almost two months. In 2015, Corazon Indomable also aired on the same network.
As Asian dramas became a trend in primetime programming in the Philippines, Beginnings at 20 Plus, Inc. started to introduce a channel dedicated to telenovelas in 2011. Beginnings at 20 Plus, Inc. is a multi-media company that produces concerts and offers television production services as well. The company produced the dubbed Tagalog version of the Chinese historical drama series Judge Bao in 2007-2008, aired on ABC-5.
A landmark agreement between Beginnings at 20 Plus, Inc. and Mexican network Televisa marked the start of a new channel dedicated to telenovelas. In November 14, 2011, Telenovela Channel started its maiden broadcast with In the Name of Love, The Two Sides of Ana, Passion and La Madrastra. These telenovelas were dubbed in Tagalog and were aired in original Spanish audio as well.
The year 2012 saw the introduction of new telenovelas as well. These are A Woman's Word, Big Love, and Love Spell. The same year also marked the return of Marimar, this time on cable via this channel. With its aim to be a purely Filipino telenovela cable channel, Spanish audio versions of the telenovelas were stopped in order to give way to Tagalog dubbed shows. In August 13 to 19, 2014, episodes of various telenovelas were aired again by viewers' request due to brownouts caused by strong monsoon rains (Habagat) in August 7–9, 2012. From April 2015 to present, all telenovelas and an anthology are aired in English.
The year 2013 saw the channel's great change, as new telenovelas were dubbed in English for the first time. In June 2013, the channel's airtime was reduced to give way to TeleVShop as blocktimer.
On June 2, 2014, the telenovela returned on Free TV as The Two Sides of Ana (Dalawang Mukha ni Ana) during ATC @ IBC-13 block. In July 7, 2014, Telenovela Channel launched the return of the popular telenovela Cuidado con el ángel, with its English dubbing entitled Don't Mess with an Angel. The said telenovela was already aired on ABS-CBN as Maria de Jesus, dubbed in Tagalog from 2009 until it ended in 2010.
In January 16, 2017, Telenovela Channel aired its first non-telenovela program " The Rose of Guadalupe" which is shown on weekdays only. Two new novelas are set to be aired on summer: Head Over Heels and I Don't Trust Men Anymore.
Currently aired programs
Note: All telenovelas are dubbed in English audio.
- What Life Took From Me (July 4, 2016-present)
- Head Over Heels (March 27, 2017-present)
- A Shelter for Love (October 10, 2016-present)
- The Rose of Guadalupe (January 16, 2017-present)
- TV Shop Philippines (2014-present)
Tagalog-dubbed telenovelas (2011-2013):
- Passion - first airing (November 16, 2011- March 25, 2012), Reruns (March 26, 2012 - August 3, 2012; December 24, 2012-March 29, 2013)
- Love Spell - first airing (May 7-September 14, 2012), Reruns (October 22-December 30, 2012; February 25, 2013-June 28, 2013)
- The Two Sides of Ana - first airing (November 14, 2011-May 6, 2012), Reruns-(May 7, 2012-October 26, 2012; January 28, 2013 – July 12, 2013) (broadcast on ATC@IBC-13 - June 2-August 29, 2014)*
- La Madrastra - first airing (November 14, 2011-May 6, 2012), Reruns (August 6, 2012-January 25, 2013; September 9, 2013 – February 21, 2014)
- Big Love - first airing (May 7, 2012-February 22, 2013), Reruns-(July 1, 2013 – April 11, 2014)
- In the Name of Love - first airing (November 14, 2011 - July 8, 2012), Reruns (September 17, 2012 - March 30, 2013; September 16, 2013 – May 9, 2014)
- Marimar - already aired on RPN-9 (1996) and GMA Network (2002 and 2008), first airing (July 9, 2012-February 8, 2013), Reruns (February 11, 2013 – September 6, 2013; March 24, 2014-July 4, 2014)
- A Woman's Word first airing (March 26, 2012-October 21, 2012), Reruns (December 31, 2012 – July 19, 2013; December 8, 2014-March 27, 2015)
- La Madrastra - first airing (November 14, 2011-May 6, 2012), Reruns (August 6, 2012-January 25, 2013; September 9, 2013 – February 21, 2014; February 16-May 15, 2015 [Spanish audio only])
"*"-aired on BEAM Channel 31 from 2015-2016
English-dubbed telenovelas (2013-present):
- Rafaela - first airing (April 1 – September 13, 2013), Reruns (October 21, 2013 - April 4, 2014)
- A Woman of Steel - first airing (April 1 - October 18, 2013), Reruns (February 24, 2014 - September 19, 2014)
- Triumph of Love - First airing (July 22, 2013-March 21, 2014), Reruns (April 7, 2014-December 5, 2014)
- The Power of Destiny (April 14, 2014-September 19, 2014), reruns (September 22, 2014-February 13, 2015)
- Don't Mess with an Angel - already aired as Maria de Jesus: Ang Anghel sa Lansangan on ABS-CBN (2009-2010); first airing (July 7, 2014 – April 17, 2015)
- The One Who Couldn't Love first airing (May 12, 2014-January 9, 2015), reruns (January 12-September 1, 2015)
- Abyss of Passion (April 13, 2015 – January 15, 2016)
- Rubí (2015) - already aired on ABS-CBN in 2005 and remade into a Philippine adaptation (April 20, 2015 – January 15, 2016)
- Valiant Love (May 18, 2015-February 26, 2016)
- The Lady from Vendaval (September 28, 2015-June 17, 2016)
- Crown of Tears (January 18-July 1, 2016)
- Timeless Love (January 18-September 29, 2016)
- The Tempest (June 20, 2016-January 13, 2017)
- Life of Lies (October 10, 2016-March 24, 2017)
Other programming and segments
- TeleBalita (2011-2012)
- Telemusika (2011-2012)
- TeleTrivia (2011-2013)
- David's Salon Makeover Tricks and Tips (2011-2014)
- TeleVShop (2013-2014)
- Rough Draft (2014-2015)
- I Don't Trust Men Anymore (April 2017)