Telephone numbers in Kazakhstan
|Regulator||Ministry of Transport and Communications of the Republic of Kazakhstan|
|Typical format||(xxx) xxx xx xx|
(xxxx) xx xx xx
(xxxxx) x xx xx
|Country calling code||+7 (+997)|
|International call prefix||8~10|
Telephone numbers in Kazakhstan are under a unified numbering plan with Russia with the country calling code +7. Historically, +7 was used as the Soviet Union country calling code. Following the break-up of the Soviet Union, all former republics except Russia and Kazakhstan switched to new country codes.
As in Russia, Kazakhstan employs a four-level (local, zone, country, international) open dialing plan. A national number consists of ten digits:
- zone code consists of the leading three digits
- area code consists of the following one or two digits
- subscribers number consists of the last six or five digits, depending on the length of the area code.
The international dialing prefix is "8~10" - callers dial '8', wait for a tone, and then dial '10', followed by the country code, area code and number. The long distance dialing prefix is "8" - callers dial '8', wait for a tone, and then dial the area code and number.
Under an agreement with Russia on 11 June 2006, Kazakhstan is assigned zone codes 6xx and 7xx (x = 0 to 9) under the unified plan. Land lines are in geographic zone codes from 710 to 729, mobiles are in zone codes 70x and 77x, and other services are in 75x and 76x. Previously, land lines used zone codes in the 3xx range. As zone codes 3xx are assigned to Russia, zone codes 3xx in Kazakhstan were changed by substituting the leading '3' with '7' in mid 2007.
In 2021, it was announced that Kazakhstan would adopt the country code +997 starting in January 2023, with the transition to be completed by the end of 2024, although some officials left open the possibility of Kazakhstan not going ahead with the transition.
- Agency of the Republic of Kazakhstan for Informatization and Communication. "Communication of 7.II.2012". ITU. Retrieved 11 April 2012.
- "Kazakhstan Will Get Its Own International Dialing Code And Abandon Russian One". RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty. Retrieved 2022-04-10.
- tengrinews.kz (2021-10-08). "Казахстан может остаться в телефонной зоне +7 - МЦРИАП". Главные новости Казахстана - Tengrinews.kz (in Russian). Retrieved 2022-05-05.