Telesphore Placidus Cardinal Toppo
Archbishop Emeritus of Ranchi
|Church||Roman Catholic Church|
|Archdiocese||Archdiocese of Ranchi|
|Installed||24 June 2018|
|Other posts||Cardinal-Priest of Sacro Cuore di Gesù agonizzante a Vitinia.(2018-till date)|
|Ordination||03 May 1969|
by Bishop Franz von Streng
|Consecration||07 October 1978|
by Archbishop Pius Kerketta, S.J.
|Created cardinal||21 October 2003|
by Pope John Paul II
|Laicized||24 June 2018|
|Birth name||Telesphore Placidus Toppo|
|Born||15 October 1939|
|Previous post||Bishop of Dumka.(1978-1984)|
Coadjutor Archbishop of Ranchi.(1984-1985)
Metropolitan Archbishop of Ranchi.(1985-2018)
Vice-President of Catholic Bishops' Conference of India.(1998-2002)
Archbishop of Bombay.(1978-1996)
President of Catholic Bishops' Conference of India.(2002-2005)
President of Catholic Bishops' Conference of India.(2004-2008)
Member of Commission of Cardinals overseeing the Institute for Works of Religion.(2008-2014)
President of Catholic Bishops' Conference of India.(2011-2013)
Member of Council of Cardinals for the Study of Organisational and Economic Problems of the Apostolic See.(2012-2014)
|Alma mater||Saint Xavier's College|
Pontifical Urban University.
|Motto||Parare Viam Domini(Latin)|
Prepare the way of the Lord(English– Isaiah 40:3)
|Coat of arms|
Telesphore Placidus Toppo
|Reference style||His Eminence|
|Spoken style||Your Eminence|
Ordination history of
Early life and ordination
After a stint at Torpa (Jharkhand), as Headmaster of St Joseph's School and Director of the Lievens Vocational Center, Toppo was named Bishop of Dumka and received his episcopal consecration on 7 October 1978 from Archbishop Pius Kerketta SJ. He was appointed Coadjutor Archbishop of Ranchi, capital of the Jharkhand state, on 8 November 1984. He became Archbishop there on 7 August 1985.
Toppo was made Cardinal-Priest by Pope John Paul II on 21 October 2003, given the titular church of Sacro Cuore di Gesù agonizzante a Vitinia. He was the third cardinal from India, the first Adivasi. He said the title of cardinal was a "mark of distinction for the tribal Church in India and recognition of its growth".
He was elected to serve a two-year term president of Catholic Bishops' Conference of India on two occasions, in 2004 and 2006. He also served as president of the Conference of Catholic Bishops of India, made up of Latin Rite bishops only, from 2001 to 2004 and from 2011 to 2013.
At the Synod of Bishops in 2008, he endorsed ecumenical efforts but warned against "dilution of the Truth" and called for agreement on a common date for the celebration of Easter. At the Synod on the New Evangelization in 2012, he called on religious orders to commit themselves anew to missionary work.
- "Christian Leaders: Members of the Elijah Board of World Religious Leaders". Elijah Interfaith Institute. Archived from the original on 24 August 2017. Retrieved 25 June 2018.
- Akkara, Anto (1 December 2003). "The First of His Kind". Catholic World News. Retrieved 24 June 2018.
- "Assignment of the Titles or the Deaconries to the new Cardinals". Office of Papal Liturgical Celebrations. 21 October 2003. Archived from the original on 19 August 2016. Retrieved 16 February 2018.
- "Archbishop Toppo Would Be India's First Tribal Cardinal". Zenit. 5 October 2003. Retrieved 24 June 2018.
- "Archbishop's Desk". Ranchi Catholic Archdiocese. Archived from the original on 7 September 2006. Retrieved 24 June 2018.
- "Cardinal Toppo Is New President of Indian Episcopate". Zenit. 15 January 2004. Retrieved 24 June 2018.
- "Cardinal Toppo Re-elected by Bishops' Conference". Zenit. 14 February 2006. Retrieved 24 June 2018.
- "Synod Interventions of 16th General Congregation". Zenit. 16 October 2012. Retrieved 25 June 2018.
- "Full Text of Tuesday Morning Interventions at Synod of Bishops". Zenit. 17 October 2012. Retrieved 25 June 2018.
- "List of Cardinal Electors". Zenit. 12 March 2013. Retrieved 24 June 2018.
- "Cardinals' Letter Proclaiming Marian Dogma". Zenit. 11 February 2008. Archived from the original on 17 September 2008.
- "Cardinal Toppo on a Proposed Marian Dogma". Zenit (Interview). 5 May 2008. Retrieved 24 June 2018.
- "New Archbishop For Ranchi Appointed". Matters India. 24 June 2018. Retrieved 24 June 2018.
- "Toppo Card. Telesphore Placidus". Holy See Press Office. Archived from the original on 4 September 2017. Retrieved 26 November 2017.
- Biography at catholic-pages.com
[[Category:People from Saharsa district]