||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (April 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Type of site
|Products||Package Holidays, Cruises, Hotels|
Unlike many holiday websites, that attract a niche audience, teletextholidays.co.uk has retained its mass appeal. The site’s audience represents a much wider geographical and socio-economic cross-section of society than other travel websites with people of all ages, ranging from 18 year-olds to over-55s, making up its core user group.
Teletext Holidays’ main competitors are considered to be any other supplier of affordable holidays for UK holidaymakers, with a particular focus on short-haul beach holidays.
- 1970 – Teletext (or broadcast Teletext) television information retrieval service created in the UK by the Philips lead designer for VDUs, John Adams.
- 1996 – Teletext published its first website featuring a holidays section included alongside the news and sport.
- 1999 – Teletext launches its Holiday Offers Database and associated entry tools for the UK trade
- 2001 – teletextholidays.co.uk launches a stand-alone website, offering predominantly package holidays.
- 2003 – teletextholidays.co.uk’s integrated flights search launches, aggregating flight deals from multiple suppliers.
- 2005 – teletextholidays.co.uk launched a new integrated hotel search, giving users access to over 100,000 hotels worldwide. This search facility complements the successful flights product and features accommodation from around the world. A new search function allows customers to search for hotels, apartments or villas. Users can also select the number of people per room and display prices for the entire holiday duration rather than per night, as is the case with many other sites.
- 2006 – An audience of 2.7 million people visits Teletext’s digital services every week, of which 1.5 m view Teletext Holidays pages. Teletext Holidays is further integrated into holiday advertisers wider marketing campaigns due to banner advertising on holiday index pages directing consumers to its exclusive display pages.
- 2009 – Victoria Sanders became marketing director
- 2009 – Teletext Holidays launched online “Sunshine Price Index” for holidays. The index shows typical prices across popular destinations, including the UK, tracking the average prices giving an average daily cost for holidaymakers during their trip.
- 2010 – Teletext shuts down news and information services on TV to focus on travel.
- 2010 – Teletext Holidays reinvents its brand with the launch of its new website following its analogue services closing.
- 2011 – Chris Letcher announced as chairman
- 2012 – After almost 20 years on air Teletext Holidays announces dropping its dedicated TV channel on Freeview
- 2013 – Victoria Sanders resigns from position as Managing Director
- 2013 – Daniel Taylor announced as Managing Director
- 2015 - Wayne Perks announced as Managing Director
- 2016 - Teletext Holidays launched a new version of its website (www.teletextholidays.co.uk), along with a brand new mobile app available on iOS and Android platforms
Teletext Holidays is headquartered in Holborn, London. Truly Travel, Teletext Holidays’ Travel Agent partner has offices in London alongside a customer call centre and additional back office support, including marketing operations, based in Hyderabad, India.
- "Website of the Week: www.teletextholidays.co.uk". The Daily Mail. 24 March 2011. Retrieved 19 March 2016.
- "Teletext Holidays goes from 15 to one". Travel Weekly (UK). Retrieved 19 March 2016.
- "Why I love package holidays". The Guardian. 8 December 2015. Retrieved 19 March 2016.
- "Top 5 holiday destinations for 2016 revealed - including the BEST place to take a selfie". Daily Mirror. 28 January 2016. Retrieved 19 March 2016.
- "eletext Holidays in major overhaul, web TV and iPad apps arrive". Tnooz.com. Retrieved 19 March 2016.
- "Revealed: The top 10 things that annoy us on holiday". Leicester Mercury. Retrieved 19 March 2016.
- "TTC 2011: Teletext Holidays to open five new shops in 2012". Travel Weekly (UK). Retrieved 19 March 2016.
- "New MD appointed to help revitalise Teletext Holidays". Travelmole. Retrieved 19 March 2016.
- "Daily Mail owner offloads Teletext". The Daily Telegraph. 14 December 2011. Retrieved 19 March 2016.
- "Endacott leads Teletext 'book by phone' push". Travel Weekly (UK). Retrieved 19 March 2016.
- "In brief: Clarion lands Teletext Holidays, account wins for Palm PR, Tidy Eye and Rich Leigh, Amanda Moss launches in Liverpool". PRWeek. Retrieved 19 March 2016.
- "Tui mainstream digital director Dan Robb to leave for Rentalcars role". Travolution. Retrieved 19 March 2016.
- "Teletext Holidays appoints new marketing director". Travelmole. Retrieved 19 March 2016.
- "About Teletext Holidays". press.teletextholidays.co.uk. Retrieved 19 March 2016.