|Launched||October 1, 2007|
|Owned by||Corus Entertainment|
|Picture format||1080i (HDTV)
Cartoon Network (Canada)
|Bell TV||Channel 599 (SD)|
|Shaw Direct||Channel 536/181 (SD)|
|Available on many Canadian cable systems.||Check local listings, channels may vary|
|FibreOP||Channel 251 (SD)|
|Bell Fibe TV||Channel 566 (SD)
Channel 1566 (HD)
|MTS||Channel 235 (SD)|
|Optik TV||Channel 77 (SD)|
|SaskTel||Channel 46 (SD)|
Teletoon Retro (stylized as TELETOON Retro) is a Canadian English-language Category B specialty channel owned by Corus Entertainment that is based on the former Teletoon programming block. The service consists of animated series that commenced production at least 10 years prior to their exhibition.
Teletoon Retro began as a programming block on Teletoon. On November 24, 2000, Teletoon Canada was given approval by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) to launch a national English language category 2 specialty channel named Teletoon Retro. The channel never made it to air.
Plans to launch the channel arose again in 2005, when on October 25, Teletoon Canada was given approval again to launch Teletoon Retro. The channel was launched at 6:00 PM EST on October 1, 2007 with its first program being The Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show. To coincide with the channel's launch, Teletoon briefly relaunched the Retro programming block. A French language counterpart, titled Télétoon Rétro, which had been given approval to be launched at the same time as Teletoon Retro, was launched on September 4, 2008.
On March 4, 2013, Corus Entertainment announced that it would acquire Astral Media's 50% ownership interest in Teletoon Canada (owner of Teletoon, Télétoon, Teletoon Retro, Télétoon Rétro, and Cartoon Network). The purchase was in relation to Bell Media's pending takeover of Astral (which had earlier been rejected by the CRTC in October 2012, but was restructured to allow the sale of certain Astral Media properties in order to allow the purchase to clear regulatory hurdles). Corus's purchase was cleared by the Competition Bureau two weeks later on March 18.
On December 20, 2013, the CRTC approved Corus's full ownership of Teletoon Canada and it was purchased by Corus on January 1, 2014. The channel continues to be owned by Teletoon Canada, now wholly owned by Corus Entertainment under its Corus Kids division.
In August 2015, Teletoon Retro's website announced that the channel would be shut down effective September 1, 2015. Some of its programming will be moved to the main Teletoon network. Television providers Videotron and Vmedia have both stated that Disney Channel would replace Teletoon Retro on its current channel allotments.
Although Teletoon Retro is a spin-off from a network devoted to animation, its programming isn't restricted to cartoons as it also airs a number of live-action series such as Batman, Fraggle Rock, and Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers.
This a list of programs broadcast at the time of the channel's closure.
- Adventures of Tintin
- Alvin and the Chipmunks
- The Berenstain Bears
- Care Bears
- Dexter's Laboratory
- The Flintstones
- Garfield and Friends
- Inspector Gadget
- The Jetsons
- Johnny Bravo
- The Little Lulu Show
- Looney Tunes
- The Mighty Hercules
- The New Scooby-Doo Movies
- The Real Ghostbusters
- The Smoggies
- The Smurfs
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
- Tiny Toon Adventures
This is a list of past programming no longer regularly aired.
- The 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo
- The All-New Scooby and Scrappy-Doo Show
- Batman: The Animated Series
- Bobby's World
- The Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show
- Captain Caveman and the Teen Angels
- Casper the Friendly Ghost
- Fantastic Four
- Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids
- Felix the Cat
- For Better or For Worse
- Fraggle Rock
- G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero
- He-Man and the Masters of the Universe
- Hoppity Hooper
- The Huckleberry Hound Show
- Josie and the Pussycats
- Merrie Melodies
- Mighty Morphin Power Rangers
- My Pet Monster
- Ned's Newt
- The New Adventures of Batman
- The New Adventures of Superman
- The Pink Panther Show
- The Porky Pig Show
- The Quick Draw McGraw Show
- The Raccoons
- The Road Runner Show
- Rocket Robin Hood
- The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show
- Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!
- The Secret World of Santa Claus
- She-Ra: Princess of Power
- Super Friends
- The Tom and Jerry Comedy Show
- Tom and Jerry Kids
- Top Cat
- The Transformers
- Wait Till Your Father Gets Home
- The Woody Woodpecker Show
- The Yogi Bear Show
- Comedy Gold - a specialty service owned by Bell Media, specializing in comedies from the 1970s to 1990s.
- DejaView - a specialty service owned by Shaw Media, specializing in classic television series from the 1960s to the 1990s.
- "TELETOON Canada Inc. | TELETOON Retro Now Nine Million Subscribers Strong". Newswire.ca. Retrieved 2014-08-06.
- Decision CRTC 2000-697; CRTC; 2000-12-14
- Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2005-511; CRTC; 2005-10-25
- "TELETOON Launches New Digital Channel "TELETOON Retro"". September 4, 2007.
- Teletoon Retro launches for francophones; Media In Canada; 2008-06-12
- BCE to sell assets to Corus as part of Astral deal, The Globe and Mail (via Reuters and The Canadian Press), March 4, 2013.
- The Canadian Press (uncredited staff) (2013-03-18). "Competition Bureau clears Corus acquisition of Astral assets". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 2013-07-05.
- Vessing, Etan (2013-12-20). "Corus/Teletoon Deal Approved by CRTC". Kidscreen. Brunico Communications. Retrieved 2013-12-21.
- "Press Release - Corus Entertainment Receives CRTC Approval on TELETOON Canada Inc., Historia and Séries+ Acquisitions". Corusent.com. Retrieved 2013-12-22.
- "Press Release - Corus Entertainment Completes Purchase of Historia, Séries+ and TELETOON Canada Inc". Corusent.com. 2014-01-01. Retrieved 2014-01-08.
- "Ownership Chart 32b" (PDF). Retrieved 2014-03-28.
- February 10, 2014 by Jeremy Dickson (2014-02-10). "Corus unveils Teletoon integration plan". Kidscreen. Retrieved 2014-05-21.
- "Channel Shift FAQ". TelletoonRetro.com. Corus Entertainment. Retrieved 5 August 2015.
- "Changes to Kids Channels". VMedia. Retrieved 26 August 2015.
- "Schedule". TELETOON Retro.