|• Also spelled||Tilfit (official)
Khirbet Telfit (unofficial)
|• Type||Local Development Committee|
|Name meaning||"The Ruin of Telfit"|
Telfit (Arabic: تلفت; Khirbet Telfit or Tilfit) is a Palestinian village in the Jenin Governorate in the northern West Bank, located southeast of Jenin. According to the Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics (PCBS) census, the village had a population of 238 in 2007.
Situated on an isolated tell in the Zababdeh Valley, Telfit has an elevation of 390 meters above sea level. Nearby localities include Kufeir to the south, Zababdeh to the southwest, Qabatiya to the west, Umm at-Tut to the north, Jalqamus and al-Mughayyir to the northeast and Raba to the southeast. The principal water source is Ein Ginai, 6 kilometers to the west and there are 35 cisterns in the village. In 1980 Telfit's built-up area consisted of 15 dunams.
British Mandate era
In the 1922 census of Palestine, conducted by the British Mandate authorities, Telfit had a population of 43; 24 Muslims and 19 Christians, where the Christians were all Orthodox. The population increased in the 1931 census to 120; all Muslim, in a total of 26 houses.
In 1945 the population was 170; all Muslims, with 6,627 dunams of land, according to an official land and population survey. 194 dunams were used for plantations and irrigable land, 2,726 dunams for cereals, while a total of 3,707 dunams were non-cultivable land.
- Palmer, 1881, p. 202
- 2007 PCBS Census. Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics. p. 105.
- Zertal, 2007, p. 122
- Conder and Kitchener, 1882, SWP II, p. 240
- Barron, 1923, Table IX, Sub-district of Jenin, p. 29
- Barron, 1923, Table XV, p. 47
- Mills, 1932, p. 71
- Department of Statistics, 1945, p. 17
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 55
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 100
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 150
- Barron, J. B., ed. (1923). Palestine: Report and General Abstracts of the Census of 1922. Government of Palestine.
- Conder, Claude Reignier; Kitchener, H. H. (1882). The Survey of Western Palestine: Memoirs of the Topography, Orography, Hydrography, and Archaeology 2. London: Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund.
- Department of Statistics (1945). Village Statistics, April, 1945. Government of Palestine.
- Hadawi, Sami (1970). Village Statistics of 1945: A Classification of Land and Area ownership in Palestine. Palestine Liberation Organization Research Center.
- Mills, E., ed. (1932). Census of Palestine 1931. Population of Villages, Towns and Administrative Areas (PDF). Jerusalem: Government of Palestine.
- Palmer, E. H. (1881). The Survey of Western Palestine: Arabic and English Name Lists Collected During the Survey by Lieutenants Conder and Kitchener, R. E. Transliterated and Explained by E.H. Palmer. Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund.
- Zertal, Adam (2007). The Manasseh Hill Country Survey 2. Boston: BRILL. ISBN 9004163697.