Telford (UK Parliament constituency)
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Telford in Shropshire.
Location of Shropshire within England.
|Electorate||65,938 (December 2010)|
|Member of parliament||Lucy Allan (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||The Wrekin|
|European Parliament constituency||West Midlands|
Created from the more rural Wrekin constituency for the 1997 general election, Telford was continuously held by the Labour Party, with a change in candidate in 2001, until the 2015 general election when the Conservatives took the seat from David Wright. Bruce Grocott was its first-ever MP, serving for the first four years. In 2010 Wright's majority fell to a marginal figure of 981 votes, and he lost in 2015 by 730 votes, the narrowest result to date.
Telford is made up of several old industrial towns to the north of the River Severn and on the eastern flanks of the Wrekin (including Madeley, Dawley and the small townships in the Ironbridge Gorge) and numerous New Town developments including Woodside. However, not all of the Telford New Town developments are in the constituency; the northern parts and some western areas (including the town of Wellington) which pre-dates Telford, are in The Wrekin constituency.
All of the constituency is covered by Telford and Wrekin Borough Council.
Boundary changes to realign the constituency boundaries to fit with the borough's most recent ward revisions resulted in the addition of Ketley (from the constituency of The Wrekin) for the 2010 general election.
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|General Election 2015: Telford|
|Liberal Democrat||Ian Croll||927||2.3||-13.2|
|Conservative gain from Labour||Swing|
|General Election 2010: Telford|
|Liberal Democrat||Phillip Bennion||6,399||15.5||+1.4|
Elections in the 2000s
|General Election 2005: Telford|
|Liberal Democrat||Ian Jenkins||4,941||14.4||+1.5|
|General Election 2001: Telford|
|Liberal Democrat||Sally Wiggin||3,983||12.9||+1.1|
|Socialist Alliance||Mike Jeffries||469||1.5||N/A|
Elections in the 1990s
|General Election 1997: Telford|
|Liberal Democrat||Nathaniel Green||4,371||11.8||N/A|
|Referendum Party||C. Morris||1,119||3.0||N/A|
Notes and references
- "Electorate Figures – Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- "Surprise result as Labour stalwart Wright loses out to Conservative candidate Allan". Shropshire Star. 8 May 2015. p. 5.Election 2015 report.
- Unemployment claimants by constituency The Guardian
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "T" (part 1)[self-published source][better source needed]
- "BBC NEWS – Election 2015 – Telford". BBC News.
- "BBC NEWS – Election 2010 – Telford". BBC News.