Telford (UK Parliament constituency)
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Telford in Shropshire
Location of Shropshire within England
|Electorate||65,938 (December 2010)|
|Member of Parliament||Lucy Allan (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||The Wrekin|
Telford is a constituency[n 1] represented in the House of Commons of the UK Parliament since May 2015 by Lucy Allan, a Conservative, who defeated David Wright, the former Labour Party MP for the seat.[n 2]
Members of Parliament
Telford is made up of several old industrial towns to the north of the River Severn and on the eastern flanks of the Wrekin (including Madeley, Dawley and the small townships in the Ironbridge Gorge) and numerous New Town developments including Woodside. However, not all of the Telford New Town developments are in the constituency; the northern parts and some western areas (including the town of Wellington) which pre-dates Telford, are in The Wrekin constituency.
All of the constituency is covered by Telford and Wrekin Borough Council.
2010–present: The Borough of Telford and Wrekin wards of Brookside, Cuckoo Oak, Dawley Magna, Horsehay and Lightmoor, Ironbridge Gorge, Ketley and Oakengates, Lawley and Overdale, Madeley, Malinslee, Priorslee, St George's, The Nedge, Woodside, Wrockwardine Wood, and Trench.
1997–2010: The District of The Wrekin wards of Brookside, Cuckoo Oak, Dawley Magna, Hollinswood/Randlay, Ironbridge (The Gorge), Ketley Bank, Langley, Lawley, Madeley, Malinslee, Priorslee, Stirchley, Wombridge, Woodside, and Wrockwardine Wood.
Boundary changes to realign the constituency boundaries to fit with the borough's most recent ward revisions resulted in the addition of Ketley (from the constituency of The Wrekin) for the 2010 general election.
Future proposals: Under constituency boundary changes announced in September 2016, ahead of the next general election, it is proposed to extend the constituency to include the wards of Donnington and Hadley and Leegomery, to be taken from The Wrekin constituency.
Created from the more rural Wrekin constituency for the 1997 general election, Telford was continuously held by the Labour Party, with a change in candidate in 2001, until the 2015 general election when the Conservatives took the seat from David Wright. Bruce Grocott was its first-ever MP, serving for the first four years. In 2010 Wright's majority fell to a marginal figure of 981 votes, and he lost in 2015 by 730 votes - one of the small number of Conservative gains from Labour in that election, which in turn helped to give the Conservatives an overall parliamentary majority. The seat was retained by Lucy Allan in 2017 with an almost identical majority of 720, and again by Ms Allan in December 2019 with a majority of 10,941, one of the most significant Conservative marginal seat holds in that election. 
Elections in the 2010s
|Liberal Democrats||Shana Roberts||2,674||6.2||4.1|
|Liberal Democrats||Susan King||954||2.1||0.2|
|Liberal Democrats||Ian Croll||927||2.3||13.2|
|Conservative gain from Labour||Swing||2.1|
|Liberal Democrats||Phillip Bennion||6,399||15.5||1.4|
Elections in the 2000s
|Liberal Democrats||Ian Jenkins||4,941||14.4||1.5|
|Liberal Democrats||Sallyann Wiggin||3,983||12.9||1.1|
|Socialist Alliance||Michael Jeffries||469||1.5||N/A|
Elections in the 1990s
|Liberal Democrats||Nathaniel Green||4,371||11.8||N/A|
|Labour win (new seat)|
Notes and references
- "Electorate Figures – Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Archived from the original on 6 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "T" (part 1)
- Unemployment claimants by constituency The Guardian
- "It's All Change for MPs, Political map to be transformed". Shropshire Star. 13 September 2016. p. 1.Report by Mark Andrews.
- "Surprise result as Labour stalwart Wright loses out to Conservative candidate Allan". Shropshire Star. 8 May 2015. p. 5.Election 2015 report.
- "Conservatives hold Shropshire seats". BBC News. 9 June 2017. Retrieved 4 October 2019.
- "Telford Parliamentary constituency". BBC News. BBC. Retrieved 30 November 2019.
- "Shrewsbury & Atcham Parliamentary constituency". BBC News.
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "BBC NEWS – Election 2015 – Telford". BBC News.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 26 July 2013. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "BBC NEWS – Election 2010 – Telford". BBC News.
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2001". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1997". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.