Telford and Wrekin Council
Telford and Wrekin Council
Mayor of Telford & Wrekin
Cllr Raj Mehta, Labour
since 24 May 2018
Leader of the Council
Cllr Shaun Davies, Labour
since 27 May 2016
since 14 December 2011
Length of term
|First past the post|
|7 May 2015|
|"A co-operative Council"|
Telford and Wrekin Council is the local authority of Telford and Wrekin in Shropshire, England. It is a unitary authority, having the powers of a non-metropolitan county and district council combined. The district of Telford and Wrekin was granted borough status in 2002, though the council does not ordinarily include "Borough" in its name.
Powers and functions
The local authority derives its powers and functions from the Local Government Act 1972 and subsequent legislation. For the purposes of local government, the Telford and Wrekin is within a non-metropolitan area of England.
As a unitary authority, Telford and Wrekin Council has the powers and functions of both a non-metropolitan county and district council combined. In its capacity as a district council it is a billing authority collecting Council Tax and business rates, it processes local planning applications, it is responsible for housing, waste collection and environmental health. In its capacity as a county council it is a local education authority, responsible for social services, libraries and waste disposal.
The council is currently made up of: 28 Labour councillors, 20 Conservative councillors, 4 Liberal Democrats councillors and 2 Independent councillors. There are currently no councillors elected for any other political party – UKIP, green, etc.
There are six roles within the Council a Councillor apart of the party under administration of the Council (Labour) may be appointed to: Leader of the Council (Cllr Shaun Davies), deputy leader of the Council (Cllr Richard Overton), Mayor of Telford & Wrekin (Cllr Raj Mehta), Deputy mayor of Telford & Wrekin (Cllr Stephen Reynolds), Speaker of the Council (Cllr Malcom Smith) and a Council cabinet member.
The Cabinet is the main decision-making body of the Council with executive powers for all matters, except those held by the full Council or those reserved to regulatory committees (such as planning and licensing applications). The Cabinet has a key role in budget proposal and policy framework for the Council to adopt.
The Cabinet is chaired by Cllr Shaun Davies (Leader of the Council) with 8 cabinet members each having responsibility for a particular area of the Council's work; 
- Cllr Shaun Davies – Leader of the Council & Cabinet member for neighbourhood services & pride in our community programme.
- Cllr Richard Overton – Deputy leader of the Council & cabinet member for housing and enforcement.
- Cllr Lee Carter – Cabinet member for Council finance, commercial services and economic development.
- Cllr Arnold England – Cabinet member for health and wellbeing.
- Cllr Rae Evans – Cabinet member for people services, visitor economy and partnerships.
- Cllr John Minor – Cabinet member for leisure, green spaces and parks.
- Cllr Shirley Reynolds – Cabinet member for education and skills.
- Cllr Hilda Rhodes – Cabinet member for transport, roads and broadband.
- Cllr Paul Watling – Cabinet member for childrens & adults early help and support.
|Party in control||Years|
|No overall control||2006–2008|
|Labour||2011 – Present|