Telford child sex abuse ring
The Telford child sex abuse ring consisted of a group of men who were grooming local children for sex between 2007 and 2009 in Telford in the English county of Shropshire. Up to 100 girls are believed to have been affected and around 200 perpetrators were suspected. According to the Home Office, as of 2015 Telford had the highest rate in the UK of sex crimes against children.
In a series of trials stretching over two years and concluding in May 2013, seven men, mainly British Pakistanis, were convicted of sexual offences against four girls aged 13 to 16. The offences included rape, controlling child prostitution, causing child prostitution, and trafficking for the purpose of prostitution.
According to a Channel 4 Dispatches investigation, "The Hunt for Britain's Sex Gangs" (2011), police were told that men in Telford would "ejaculate and then urinate in children's mouths". There were also allegations of "gang-rape by queues of men while girls were held hostage for hours, sometimes days—all the while being forced to listen to the screams of girls in other rooms with other men".
|Ahdel Ali||25||"one charge of rape, 11 charges of sexual activity with a child, three charges of controlling child prostitution, one of inciting child prostitution, a charge of inciting a child to engage in sexual activity and meeting a child after grooming"||18 years|
|Mubarek "Max" Ali||29||"four charges of controlling child prostitution, two of trafficking in the UK for sexual exploitation and a charge of causing child prostitution"||14 years|
|Mohammed Islam Choudhrey||54||"paying for sex with a Telford schoolgirl"||2 years 6 months|
|Mohammed Ali Sultan||26||"having sex with two teenage girls, one of whom was 13 years old"||7 years|
|Mohammed Younis||61||"allowing his flat to be used as a brothel by allowing a man to have sex with a girl who was being controlled as a prostitute"||2 years 6 months|
|Mahroof Khan||35||"having sex with a 15-year-old girl"||30 months|
|Tanveer Ahmed||40||"controlling a child prostitute"||2 years 6 months|
Call for inquiry
In September 2016, the Conservative MP for Telford, Lucy Allan, called for an inquiry. She said she had had a meeting with a victim of the abuse, who told her that many of the worst offenders had not been prosecuted and were still living in the area. Allan said that she would be asking the prime minister, Theresa May, to take action.
- "Operation Chalice: Child sex abuse case concludes", BBC News, 10 May 2013.
- "TV special to expose sex ring investigation in Shropshire". Shropshire Star. 19 May 2013. Retrieved 1 August 2015.
- Bulman, May (4 September 2016). "Town council accused of 'whitewashing' its own investigation into child sex abuse", The Independent.
- "Horror of Telford girls' sex abuse ordeal". The Shropshire Star. 10 May 2013. Retrieved 6 June 2013.
- "Telford faces up to child sex abuse cases", BBC News, 10 May 2013.
- "Britain's Sex Gangs". Channel 4. 22 May 2013. Retrieved 22 May 2013.
- "MP Lucy Allan calls for Telford child sex abuse inquiry", BBC News, 26 October 2016.
- "MP Lucy Allan demands new Telford child sex abuse inquiry". Shropshire Star. 12 September 2016. Retrieved 23 September 2016.