|Elevation||1,061 m (3,481 ft)|
|Location||León Department, Nicaragua|
|Last eruption||May to June 2015|
Telica (Spanish: Volcán Telica) is a stratovolcano, one of several volcanoes of the Nicaraguan volcanic front. It is located in Telica municipality, in the León department of Nicaragua. One of Nicaragua's most active volcanoes, Telica has erupted frequently, and ash from those frequent eruptions keeps the slopes of its cone bare of vegetation.
Telica has six cones, the tallest of which is 1061 meters high. There is a double crater at the top, 700 meters wide and 120 meters deep. Telica has erupted frequently since the Spanish Era. The most recent eruption was in 2015.
Telica became active in August 1999. An eruption produced ash-fall, and on 18 August a lava lake was observed in the summit crater. The ash eruptions continued until February 2000 and declined afterwards.
From 9 January to February 2007, small ash eruptions produced ash clouds reaching altitudes of 4900 ft (1.5 km).
In the afternoon of 7 May 2015, Telica increased its volcanic activity, with explosions and low-intensity earthquakes. These explosions produced gas emissions and volcanic ash. On the night of 10 May, the volcano let out a loud explosion and spewed fiery rocks and gases, dusting nearby towns with ash. The volcano has registered over 64 small eruptions since May 7, including an ash spew in León on September 23. No major damage or injuries were reported.
The general proximity to the city of León makes Telica a popular tourist attraction. Several tourism agencies offer the trek as a two-day tour. The trek is moderately strenuous, taking approximately 5 hours one-way.
High temperatures, lack of water access and trail markers make the hike slightly more difficult. Most hikes enter through the small town of San Jacinto, known for its bubbling mud pits and small geothermal electric generation plant.
- "Volcán Telica: Nicaragua". Geographical Names. Retrieved 2011-02-07.
- "Telica". Global Volcanism Program. Retrieved 2011-02-09.
- "Telica Volcano, Nicaragua". Volcano Photos. Retrieved 2011-02-10.
- "Large Volcano Explocivity Index". Allcountries.org. Retrieved 2011-02-10.
- "Telica Volcano | Volcano World | Oregon State University". volcano.oregonstate.edu. Retrieved 2015-08-23.
- "Global Volcanism Program | Report on Telica (Nicaragua) — 3 January-9 January 2007". volcano.si.edu. Smithsonian Institution. 2007-01-09. Retrieved 2015-08-23.
- "Nicaragua: Telica volcano roars to life spewing ash and gas at hikers". IBTimes. 2015-05-13. Retrieved 2015-08-23.
- "Tourists In Nicaragua Have A Hair-Raising Close Encounter With Erupting Volcano". Tech Times News. 2015-05-14. Retrieved 2015-08-23.
- "Volcán Telica". Quetzaltrekkers. Retrieved 2011-02-09.