This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (October 2019)
|Founded||26 May 1995|
|Headquarters||Telkomsel Smart Office, Jl. Jendral Gatot Subroto kav. 52, Jakarta, Indonesia|
PT Telekomunikasi Selular (trading as Telkomsel) is an Indonesian wireless network provider founded in 1995 and is owned by Telkom Indonesia (65%) and Singtel (35%). It is headquartered in South Jakarta.
Telkomsel is the largest wireless carrier in the country with 169.5 million customer base as of 2020. The company operates their GSM network on the 900–1800 MHz frequency range, as well as 3G, 4G, and 5G services on other frequencies. Telkomsel operates a variety of mobile services, chief among them are Telkomsel PraBayar (a consolidation of simPATI, kartuAs, and LOOP, all of them Telkomsel's prepaid services) and Telkomsel Halo (formerly kartuHalo). These brands differ on their payment model (prepaid vs. postpaid) as well as pricing. As of the first quarter of 2020, Telkomsel had a 66.4% share of the Indonesian mobile phone market.
Telkomsel was incorporated on 26 May 1995 in Jakarta, Indonesia. It is majority owned by Telkom Indonesia with 65% of the shares, with Singapore Telecommunications Limited owning the minority 35%. In November 1997, Telkomsel became the first wireless carrier in Asia to introduce rechargeable GSM pre-paid services (branded as simPATI until the 2021 rebrand). In September 2006, Telkomsel became the first carrier in the country to launch a 3G service.
On 20 March 2009, Telkomsel and Apple South Asia Pte. Ltd. launched the iPhone 3G in Indonesia with customised price plans for all of Telkomsel's customers. Three years later, Telkomsel had acquired more than 100 million active customers.
In 2014, 11 million former Telkom Flexi (the parent company's fixed wireless access service) subscribers were migrated to either kartuAs or kartuHALO service (depending on their plan) when Telkom, along with various other cellular providers across the country, ended their CDMA services.
In April 2017, the company website was hacked, and a message protesting about high charges and unnecessary extra services was posted containing numerous offensive words. There was widespread support for the hacker on social media.
In June 2021, Telkomsel became the first carrier in the country to launch a 5G service, with limited rollout in certain regions in Jakarta and South Tangerang, along with Batam. In 18 June 2021, Telkomsel launched its new logo, replacing the old logo that has been used 26 years since its foundation.
- "Continuing to Win in the Digital Era" (PDF). Telkomsel.com. Retrieved 26 April 2017.
- "Shareholding Pattern | Bharti Airtel". Airtel.in. Archived from the original on 24 May 2012. Retrieved 28 June 2012.
- "Shareholding Pattern as of Dec 2011| Bharti Airtel" (PDF). Airtel.in. Archived from the original (PDF) on 26 August 2012. Retrieved 28 June 2012.
- "Telkomsel 2018 Annual Report" (PDF).
- "Revenue market share of mobile subscribers in Indonesia as of Q1 2020, by provider". statista.com. 2021. Retrieved 25 April 2021.
- "Telkomsel on BusinessWeek". Investing.businessweek.com. Retrieved 23 July 2010.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 17 December 2011. Retrieved 7 December 2011.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Telekomunikasi Indonesia – Telkom – Indonesia Investments". Indonesia-investments.com. Retrieved 26 April 2017.
- Amailia Putri Hasniawati (4 October 2014). "Telkom Flexi Resmi Ditutup". Kompas.com. Retrieved 30 June 2021.
- "Situs Telkomsel Diretas Berisi Keluhan Internet Mahal". Kompas.com. 28 April 2017. Retrieved 24 April 2021.
- Dion Bisara; Herman (18 April 2017). "Telkomsel Hacked, Customers Vent Frustration Over Internet Price". The Jakarta Globe. Retrieved 15 May 2017.
- Clinten, Bill (27 May 2021). "Telkomsel Resmi Gelar Jaringan 5G Pertama di Indonesia, Ini Daerah yang Kebagian". Kompas.com. Retrieved 9 June 2021.
- "Logo Baru Telkomsel Meluncur, Ini Maknanya". Kompas.com. 18 June 2021. Retrieved 19 June 2021.
- Center, PT. Indonesia News. "Pelanggan Telkomsel Membludak, Jumlah BTS Digenjot". inilahcom. Retrieved 25 July 2018.