Tell Me I'm Not Dreamin' (Too Good to Be True)
|"Tell Me I'm Not Dreamin' (Too Good to Be True)"|
Side-B label of the single "Do What You Do"
|Single by Jermaine Jackson featuring Michael Jackson|
|from the album Jermaine Jackson|
|A-side||"Do What You Do"|
|Released||December 21, 1984|
|Jermaine Jackson singles chronology|
|Michael Jackson singles chronology|
"Tell Me I'm Not Dreamin' (Too Good to Be True)" is a song by Jermaine Jackson featuring his younger brother Michael Jackson, taken from Jermaine Jackson's eponymous album. Jason Elias of Allmusic called this song "percolating and infectious."
The song was nominated at the 1985 Grammy Awards for Best R&B Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals. The vocal version of "Tell Me I'm Not Dreamin'" was on the B-side to both the 7" and 12" versions of Jermaine Jackson's single, "Do What You Do", while an instrumental version of the song was on the B-side to another Jermaine Jackson song, "Dynamite".
In her 1993 book Michael Jackson: The King of Pop, author Lisa D. Campbell states that "although it was never officially released as a single because of legal difficulties between Michael's label, Epic, and Jermaine's label, Arista, the song did receive a lot of airplay." As a result, Billboard at the time could not show the song on any "single" chart. Billboard had not yet begun publishing the airplay chart on which it would have registered. The song, however, did register on Radio and Records' Top 40 chart, a chart based solely on airplay, peaking at No. 6 in June 1984. The song was most successful on the Billboard Hot Dance Club Play chart, where it spent three weeks at No. 1 that same June. The song was performed as a medley with some of Jermaine Jackson's other solo hits ("Let's Get Serious" and "Dynamite") on the Jacksons' 1984 "Victory Tour".
- 27th Grammy Awards - Best R&B Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals (nominees)
- "Do What You Do" 7" release info at discogs.com
- "Do What You Do" 12" release info at discogs.com
- "Dynamite" 7" release info at discogs.com
- "Dynamite" 12" release info at discogs.com
- Campbell, Lisa D. Michael Jackson: The King of Pop (Branden Books, 1993, ISBN 0-8283-1957-X, page 86)
- Hot Dance Club Play Chart Listing For The Week Of Jun 9, 1984, Billboard.com
- "Jacksons captivated JFK Stadium" Michael J. Borza, 7 September 1984, The Daily Collegian. Retrieved 25 June 2009.
- The Billboard Hot 100 Chart Listing For The Week Of Aug 5, 1989, Billboard.com