Tell Me Why (Beatles song)
|"Tell Me Why"|
|Song by the Beatles from the album A Hard Day's Night|
|Released||10 July 1964|
|Recorded||27 February 1964,
EMI Studios, London
|Genre||Rock and roll|
"Tell Me Why" is a song by English rock band the Beatles from their album A Hard Day's Night. In North America, it was released on both the American version of A Hard Day's Night and the album Something New. Credited to Lennon–McCartney, it was written by John Lennon in either Paris or New York City and recorded in eight takes on 27 February 1964.
Paul McCartney said:
|“||I think a lot of these [Lennon's] songs like "Tell Me Why" may have been based in real experiences or affairs John was having, or arguments with Cynthia [Lennon’s wife] or whatever, but it never occurred to us until later to put that slant on it all.||”|
Lennon described the song as resembling "a black New York girl-group song". Its basic structure of simple doo-wop chord changes and block harmonies over a walking bass line "creates an illusion of sincerity through its sheer attack."
"Tell Me Why" was performed in the Beatles' debut feature film, A Hard Day's Night. The song was part of the 'studio performance' sequence, which was filmed at the Scala Theatre, London, on 31 March 1964.
The song is in the key of D major. John, Paul, and George sing a three-part harmony. Unusually, Paul sings a lower harmony to John's lead during the chorus.
- Included on the British LP A Hard Day's Night.
- Included on the British EP Extracts from the Film A Hard Day's Night.
- Included on the North American LP A Hard Day's Night.
- Included on the North American LP Something New.
- B-side of the UK single "If I Fell".
Lennon's vocal is double-tracked in the stereo version, but single-tracked in the mono mix.
- Paul McCartney – harmony vocal, bass
- George Harrison – harmony vocal, lead guitar
- Ringo Starr – drums
- George Martin – piano
- Personnel per MacDonald
- In 1965, the Beach Boys covered "Tell Me Why" on their Beach Boys' Party! album.
- In 1982, April Wine covered it on their album Power Play.
- In 2002, the Punkles did a cover of this song on their second album, Punk!.
- Calkin, Graham (2002). "The Beatles - If I Fell". JPGR.
- Harry, Bill (2000). The Beatles Encyclopedia: Revised and Updated. London: Virgin Publishing. ISBN 0-7535-0481-2.
- Lewisohn, Mark (1988). The Beatles Recording Sessions. New York: Harmony Books. ISBN 0-517-57066-1.
- MacDonald, Ian (2005). Revolution in the Head: The Beatles' Records and the Sixties (Second Revised ed.). London: Pimlico (Rand). ISBN 1-84413-828-3.
- Miles, Barry (1997). Paul McCartney: Many Years From Now. New York: Henry Holt and Company. ISBN 0-8050-5249-6.
- Spitz, Bob (2005). The Beatles: The Biography. Boston: Little, Brown. ISBN 0-316-80352-9.
- "Tell Me Why". The Beatles Bible. 2009. Retrieved 15 April 2009.