|Location||Nineveh Province, Iraq|
Tell al-Rimah is a tell, or archaeological settlement mound, in Nineveh Province (Iraq). Its ancient name may have been either Karana or Qattara. It is located in Nineveh Province (Iraq), roughly 50 miles (80 km) west of Mosul and ancient Nineveh in the Sinjar region.
History of archaeological research
The region was originally surveyed by Seton Lloyd in 1938. The site of Tell al-Rimah was excavated from 1964 to 1971 by a British School of Archaeology in Iraq team led by David Oates. A large temple and palace from the early second millennium BCE were excavated, as well as a Neo-Assyrian building. Tell al-Rimah also is known for having a third millennium example of brick vaulting.
While it appears that the site was occupied in the third millennium BCE, it reached its greatest size and prominence during the second millennium BCE and in the Neo-Assyrian period. The second millennium activity was primarily during the Old Babylonian and Mitanni periods. At various times, Tell al-Rimah has been linked with either Qatara or Karana, both cites known to be in that area during the second millennium.
A number of Old Babylonian tablets contemporary with Zimri-Lim of Mari were found as well as other objects. The most notable artifact found was the stele of Adad-nirari III which mentioned an early king of Israel.
- Mckee, G. "Places: 356369838 (Qattara?/Karana?)". Pleiades. Retrieved June 26, 2017.
- Seton Lloyd, Some Ancient Sites in the Sinjar district, Iraq, vol. 5, pp. 123ff, 1938
- David Oates, The Excavations at Tell al Rimah: 1964, Iraq, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 62-68, 1965
- David Oates, The Excavations at Tell al Rimah, 1965, Iraq, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 122-139, 1966
- David Oates, The Excavations at Tell al Rimah, 1966, Iraq, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 70-96, 1967
- David Oates, The Excavations at Tell al Rimah: 1967, Iraq, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 115-138, 1968
- David Oates, The Excavations at Tell al Rimah, 1968, Iraq, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 1-26, 1970
- David Oates, The Excavations at Tell al Rimah: 1971, Iraq, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 77-86, 1972
- Barbara Parker, Cylinder Seals from Tell al Rimah, Iraq, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 21-38, 1975
- H. W. F. Saggs, The Tell al Rimah Tablets: 1965, Iraq, vol. 30, vo. 2, pp. 154-174, 1968
- D. J. Wiseman, The Tell al Rimah Tablets: 1966, Iraq, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 175-205, 1968
- Stephanie Page, The Tablets from Tell Al-Rimah 1967: A Preliminary Report, Iraq, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 87-97, 1968
- William H. Shea, Adad-Nirari III and Jehoash of Israel, Journal of Cuneiform Studies, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 101-113, 1978
- Carolyn Postgate, David Oates and Joan Oates, The Excavations at Tell al Rimah: The Pottery, Aris & Phillips, 1998, ISBN 0-85668-700-6
- Stephanie Dalley, C.B.F Walker and J.D. Hawkins. The Old Babylonian Tablets from Al-Rimah, British School of Archaeology in Iraq, 1976, ISBN 0-903472-03-1
- Stephanie Dalley, Mari and Karana: Two Old Babylonian Cities, Gorgias Press, 2002 ISBN 1-931956-02-2
- C. B. F. Walker, A Foundation-Inscription from Tell al Rimah, Iraq, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 27–30, 1970
- J. N. Postgate, A Neo-Assyrian Tablet from Tell al Rimah, Iraq, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 31–35, 1970
- Stephanie Dalley, Old Babylonian Trade in Textiles at Tell al Rimah, Iraq, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 155–159, 1977
- Joan Oates, Late Assyrian Temple Furniture from Tell al Rimah, Iraq, vol. 36, no. 1/2, pp. 179–184, 1974
- Barbara Parker, Middle Assyrian Seal Impressions from Tell al Rimah, Iraq, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 257–268, 1977
- Jesper Eidem, Some Remarks on the Iltani Archive from Tell al Rimah, Iraq, vol. 51, pp. 67–78, 1989