Telowie Gorge Conservation Park
|Telowie Gorge Conservation Park|
|Nearest town or city||Port Germein.|
|Established||3 September 1970|
|Area||19.67 km2 (7.6 sq mi)|
|Managing authorities||Department of Environment, Water and Natural Resources|
|Website||Telowie Gorge Conservation Park|
|See also||Protected areas of South Australia|
Telowie Gorge Conservation Park (formerly Telowie Gorge National Park) is a protected area located in the Australian state of South Australia about 7.5 kilometres (4.7 miles) east of the town of Port Germein in the gazetted locality of Telowie.
The conservation park was proclaimed under the National Parks and Wildlife Act 1972 in 1972 in respect to an area of land already under statutory protection since 1970 as the Telowie Gorge National Park.
In 2010, the conservation park was described by its managing authority as follows:
Home to a colony of yellow-footed rock-wallabies, Telowie Gorge Conservation Park features some of the most dramatic scenery in the Southern Flinders Ranges. The gorge and its diverse landforms have been created by Telowie Creek, which over time has cut a deep gorge through the range. Today, the gorge creates a rich variety of habitats for animals and plants from both the southern temperate and arid regions. During winter, Telowie Creek flows from the gorge onto the plains.
The conservation park includes the following services for visitors - two camping areas at the entrance on the western side on land which is part of the Mount Remarkable National Park and four trails including one dedicated for use by go-karts as well as access to the Heysen Trail which passes along part of the eastern side of the conservation park and two other local trails.
- "Search results for Telowie Gorge Conservation Park with the following datasets selected – 'Suburbs and Localities', 'NPW and Conservation Properties', 'Recreation Trails', and 'Gazetteer'". Location SA Map Viewer. Government of South Australian Government. Retrieved 30 April 2018.
- Shard, A.J. (3 September 1970). "NATIONAL PARKS ACT, 1966: HUNDRED OF TELOWIE—TELOWIE GORGE NATIONAL PARK" (PDF). The South Australian Government Gazette. South Australian Government. p. 1014. Retrieved 29 April 2018.
- "Protected Areas Information System - reserve list (as of 16 July 2015)" (PDF). Department of Environment Water and Natural Resources. Retrieved 3 August 2015.
- "Mount Remarkable National Park Management Plan" (PDF). Department for Environment and Heritage (DEH). 2006. pp. 1 & 2. Retrieved 3 September 2015.
- "Search result for Telowie Gorge Conservation Park(record id no SA0065871)". Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure. Retrieved 3 September 2015.
- "Telowie Gorge Conservation Park (brochure)". Department for Environment and Natural Resources (DENR). 2010. Retrieved 3 September 2015.
- "Terrestrial Protected Areas of South Australia (see 'DETAIL' tab)". CAPAD 2012. Australian Government - Department of the Environment. 2014. Retrieved 13 March 2015.