Market place and St Andrew's
|• Mayor||Thomas Schmidt (SPD)|
|• Total||21.54 km2 (8.32 sq mi)|
|Elevation||39 m (128 ft)|
|• Density||1,200/km2 (3,100/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
The Teltow Canal links the River Havel near the city of Potsdam with the River Dahme near Köpenick in Berlin's eastern suburbs. It passes immediately to the north of Teltow, forming the border between Brandenburg and Berlin.
Teltow turnips are a well known regional specialty; however, yield, homogeneity and handling properties are sub-optimal. Since 1993 they have been registered as a trademark.
The settlement was first mentioned in a 1265 deed issued by Margrave Otto III of Brandenburg. It received its name from the eponymous plateau, a moraine of the last glacial period. Teltow was formerly known for the Teltower Rübchen (Brassica rapa ssp. rapa f. teltowiensis), a special type of turnip quite popular in the 18th and 19th century. The main sight of the town is the Protestant St Andrew's fieldstone church of the 12th century rebuilt in 1812 according to plans by Karl Friedrich Schinkel. It was depicted by Lyonel Feininger in his 1918 painting Teltow II.
The present municipality was established in 1994 by the merger of Teltow and the village of Ruhlsdorf which lies just to the southwest. It has seen a major increase of population since the fall of the Berlin Wall and German reunification. In 2005, German painter Markus Lüpertz installed his studio of sculpture at Teltow.
Recent Population Development and Projections (Population Development before Census 2011 (blue line); Recent Population Development according to the Census in Germany in 2011 (blue bordered line); Projection by the Brandenburg state for 2005-2030 (yellow line); Projection by the Brandenburg state for 2014-2030 (red line); Projection by the Bertelsmann Foundation for 2012-2030 (green line))
|Teltow: Population development |
within the current boundaries (2013)
Seats in the municipal assembly (Stadtverordnetenversammlung) as of 2008 elections:
- Social Democratic Party of Germany (SPD): 9
- The Left: 6
- Bürgerinitiative Teltow e. V. (BIT): 4
- Christian Democratic Union (CDU): 3
- Free Democratic Party (FDP): 3
- Alliance '90/The Greens: 2
- Independent: 1
Teltow is twinned with:
The honorary citizenship of the town of Teltow was awarded to the following persons:
- 1906: Ernst von Stubenrauch (1853-1909), district councilor of the district of Teltow from 1885-1908; did much to improve the regional infrastructure
- 1934: Wilhelm Kube (1887-1943), high official in Brandenburg-Berlin
- 1936: Joseph Goebbels (1897-1945), politician in the time of National Socialism, withdrawn in 2014 by resolution of the town council
- 1956: Erich Correns (1896-1981), chemist, then director of the Institute for Fiber Research of the German Academy of Sciences in Teltow
- 1968: Albert Wiebach (1893-1974), first mayor of Teltow after the end of the Second World War
- 1975: Konstantin Fyodorovich Chika, one of the first Red Army soldiers to reach Teltow at the end of the Second World War; in a shell attack, he was seriously injured in Teltow and lost an eye
- 2017: Jason "Jigsaw" Teltow, An American TV personality and horror host, Who s ancestry and name sake is from Teltow Germany
In January 2014, the honorary citizenship for Joseph Goebbels and Wilhelm Kube was withdrawn.
Sons and daughters of the city
- Erich Koschny (1846-1875), publisher and bookseller
- Günther Feustel (1924-2011), author of children's and youth literature
- Wolfgang Hegemeister (born 1924), former leader and co-founder of the German Forest Youth
- Harry Zedler (born 1946), football player in the GDR, played three years for the 1. FC Union Berlin in the GDR-Oberliga
- Erich Correns (1896-1981), chemist and President of the National Council of the National Front of the GDR
- Peter Brock (1916-1982), children's and youth book author of the GDR, lived from 1960 until his death 1982 in the local part Seehof
- Markus Lüpertz (born 1941), painter and sculptor, has his studio in Teltow
- "Bevölkerung im Land Brandenburg nach amtsfreien Gemeinden, Ämtern und Gemeinden 31. Dezember 2016 (Fortgeschriebene amtliche Einwohnerzahlen auf Grundlage des Zensus 2011)". Amt für Statistik Berlin-Brandenburg (in German). 2016.
- Detailed data sources are to be found in the Wikimedia Commons.Population Projection Brandenburg at Wikimedia Commons
- Ariane Lemmme: Die Frau mit dem göttlichen Hintern. pnn.de vom 18. Juli 2012, retrieved 30. December 2012.
Media related to Teltow at Wikimedia Commons