Market place and St Andrew's
|• Mayor||Thomas Schmidt (SPD)|
|• Total||21.54 km2 (8.32 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,100/km2 (2,900/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
The Teltow Canal links the River Havel near the city of Potsdam with the River Dahme near Köpenick in Berlin's eastern suburbs. It passes immediately to the north of Teltow, forming the border between Brandenburg and Berlin.
Teltow Turnips are a well known regional speciality, however yield, homogeneity and handling properties are sub-optimal. Since year 1993 they are registered as a trade mark.
The settlement was first mentioned in a 1265 deed issued by Margrave Otto III of Brandenburg. It received its name from the eponymous plateau, a moraine of the last glacial period. Teltow was formerly known for the Teltower Rübchen (Brassica rapa ssp. rapa f. teltowiensis), a special type of turnip quite popular in the 18th and 19th century. The main sight of the town is the Protestant St Andrew's fieldstone church of the 12th century rebuilt in 1812 according to plans by Karl Friedrich Schinkel. It was depicted by Lyonel Feininger in his 1918 painting Teltow II.
The present municipality was established in 1994 by the merger of Teltow and the former village of Ruhlsdorf. It has seen a major increase of population since the fall of the Berlin Wall and German reunification. In 2005, German painter Markus Lüpertz installed his studio of sculpture at Teltow.
Seats in the municipal assembly (Stadtverordnetenversammlung) as of 2008 elections:
- Social Democratic Party of Germany (SPD): 9
- The Left: 6
- Bürgerinitiative Teltow e. V. (BIT): 4
- Christian Democratic Union (CDU): 3
- Free Democratic Party (FDP): 3
- Alliance '90/The Greens: 2
- Independent: 1
Teltow is twinned with:
- "Bevölkerung im Land Brandenburg nach amtsfreien Gemeinden, Ämtern und Gemeinden 31. Dezember 2013 (Fortgeschriebene amtliche Einwohnerzahlen auf Grundlage des Zensus 2011)". Amt für Statistik Berlin-Brandenburg (in German). 2014.
- Detailed data sources are to be found in the Wikimedia Commons.Population Projection Brandenburg at Wikimedia Commons
Media related to Teltow at Wikimedia Commons