||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (December 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
||A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (December 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
He graduated in Aeronautical Engineering from Istanbul Technical University with a B.Sc degree in 1983. Awarded a scholarship by the Turkish Ministry of Industry in 1984, he was educated at the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor (USA), where he obtained a M.Sc degree in Aerospace Engineering in 1986 and another M.Sc in Mechanical Engineering in 1987 from the same university. Kotil continued his studies there and received his Ph.D in Mechanical Engineering in 1991.
After returning home in 1991, he was appointed an associate chair in the Department of Aeronautical Engineering at Istanbul Technical University. He founded and managed the laboratories of aircraft design, structural mechanics and advance computational mechanics. At the same time, Kotil was charged with duties of the manager of the department's computer center. From 1994 until 1997, he served as the manager of a technical department at Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality. Between 2002-03, he worked as the head of the Research, Planning and Coordination Department at Advance Innovative Technologies Inc. in New York. In 2003, he returned to Turkey and was employed by Turkish Airlines in Istanbul becoming its executive vice president in charge of technical affairs. In April 2005, Kotil was appointed to assume the position of the General Manager and CEO of the biggest airline company of Turkey.
Kotil is member of the Turkish Mechanical Engineering Society since 1991, and currently member of the Board of Governors at the International Air Transport Association. On 1 January 2014, Kotil became President of the Association of European Airlines.
- Kotil bio, Star Alliance.com; accessed 27 December 2014.
- Kotil bio, IATA.org; accessed 27 December 2014.
- Interview flightglobal.com; accessed 27 December 2014.
- Turkish Daily News: THY buys its 100th plane, turkishdailynews.com.tr; accessed 27 December 2014.
- "Flying the Flag", economist.com; accessed 27 December 2014.
- "IATA Members of the Board". IATA. Retrieved 25 October 2013.
- "Press Release" (PDF). AEA. Retrieved 29 November 2013.
- "2014 Airline Strategy Awards Web Page". ASA. Retrieved 27 December 2014.
- "2014 Airline Strategy Awards - Executive Leadership Award PDF Page" (PDF). ASA. Retrieved 27 December 2014.