- The following is an archived discussion of the DYK nomination of the article below. Please do not modify this page. Subsequent comments should be made on the appropriate discussion page (such as this nomination's talk page, the article's talk page or Wikipedia talk:Did you know), unless there is consensus to re-open the discussion at this page. No further edits should be made to this page.
The result was: promoted by Yoninah (talk) 21:29, 11 September 2019 (UTC)
Adriana Marais at TedxCape Town 2015
that Adriana Marais (pictured) was one of four South Africans chosen in the third round of astronaut candidate selection for Mars One?
Source: Mars One community platform
Created by Wyatt Tyrone Smith (talk). Self-nominated at 17:52, 13 August 2019 (UTC).
- I'm sorry, but I see a lot of problems. I've already gone through to remove a lot of stuff that is more appropriate for a resume than an encyclopedic article, but there's more. I kind of like the hook (first version is fine, but I removed the wikilinks for "South Africa" per WP:OVERLINK), but the problem is there isn't a single reliable secondary source. I suppose the "Mars One Community" page is OK, but it's marginal. (The podcast is not great, since it's a talk show with little evidence of editorial oversight.) That problem, of reliable secondary sourcing, is endemic for the article. Only the article from TransLIVE and the one from the South African Journal of Science are reliable sources, but the latter isn't even secondary since she is one of the co-authors. This article needs copyediting too--Proudly Human is italicized at first, but not later on, and the article doesn't explain what it is--and maybe Gone Travelling is a reliable source, but it looks awfully bloggy. Drmies (talk) 03:22, 14 August 2019 (UTC)
- Thanks. I will get on those areas it needs improvement. Wyatt Tyrone Smith (talk) 04:09, 14 August 2019 (UTC)
- I have added references from South African news media, and removed some that were blogs, personal CV, etc. The best source for ALT0 is "Four South Africans make round three of Mars One mission". Mail & Guardian , and for ALT1 Abarder, Gasant (19 August 2016). "Adriana is on a mission to Mars". Cape Argus, Independent Online  and Hartleb, Thomas (3 February 2016). "SA's Mars One hopeful preparing for final test". News24 . RebeccaGreen (talk) 05:31, 2 September 2019 (UTC)
- @Drmies: I did some work on this article (adding extra sources and removing unreliable sources). I'm sorry I didn't ping you when I posted here earlier - I'm wondering if you would you like to finish reviewing this DYK, or should I perhaps add the new reviewer symbol? RebeccaGreen (talk) 20:48, 10 September 2019 (UTC)
- Article passes after improvements; thank you. DYK admin, I don't have a preference for the hook; they are both verified. Shorter is better, so maybe ALT1 is the one to go with. Yeah, let's go with that. Drmies (talk) 23:13, 10 September 2019 (UTC)