- The following discussion is an archived discussion of the DYK nomination of the article below. Please do not modify this page. Subsequent comments should be made on the appropriate discussion page (such as this nomination's talk page, the article's talk page or Wikipedia talk:Did you know), unless there is consensus to re-open the discussion at this page. No further edits should be made to this page.
The result was: promoted by PFHLai (talk) 18:21, 23 March 2014 (UTC)
- ... that Ben Sneesby survived childhood cancer and went on to compete at the Paralympics for Great Britain?
- Comment: one for the Winter Paralympics please, review before end
Created by FruitMonkey (talk). Nominated by Matty.007 (talk) at 17:54, 8 March 2014 (UTC).
- 1) Article is new (created March 5). 2) Calculating article length with Word I come to 1720 characters, including spaces, so that complies as well. 3) Article is neutral and cites its sources with inline citations, well sourced entirely. A quick check reveals no copyright issues. Hook 1) Hook is short enough and well formatted. 2) Interesting hook. Different elements of it (surviving cancer, competing at the Paralympics for GB) are mentioned in the article and sourced with direct inline citations. QPQ not required as it is not a self-nomination.
- I would suggest making one or two changes to the hook however. First of all adding he survived a childhood cancer might it more interesting, because I can imagine that there are quite a number of athletes at the Paralympics that have survived cancer. Another option is adding the sport he competes in. This might make it stand out more. Secondly, as a non-native speaker of English, the current hooks seems to imply to me that he specifically had the goal to survive cancer so he could compete at the Paralympics. If it reads normal as an English speaker then there is of course no problem. Otherwise maybe change it to: ...survived cancer and went on to compete...etc..Crispulop (talk) 13:12, 15 March 2014 (UTC)
- This meets all DYK criteria and I have tweaked the hook in line with Crispulop's suggestion. Cwmhiraeth (talk) 13:13, 23 March 2014 (UTC)