- The following discussion is an archived discussion of the DYK nomination of the article below. Please do not modify this page. Subsequent comments should be made on the appropriate discussion page (such as this nomination's talk page, the article's talk page or Wikipedia talk:Did you know), unless there is consensus to re-open the discussion at this page. No further edits should be made to this page.
The result was: promoted by BlueMoonset (talk) 23:51, 27 July 2013 (UTC)
Dale D. Myers
- Comment: Yes, I know a hook about his eye-patch would interesting as well but I've yet to find mentions in reliable sources. One (likely unreliable) source says that he began wearing it after a sports car accident.
5x expanded by Crisco 1492 (talk), PumpkinSky (talk). Nominated by Crisco 1492 (talk) at 14:30, 15 July 2013 (UTC).
- Okay, the references for this cannot be checked without access to specific publications. Apart from that, everything seems in order, however, the hook is crap, what about
- ALT1: ... that Dale D. Myers refused to accept the position of Deputy Administrator at NASA until president Ronald Reagan made a personal request? ~ R.T.G 17:45, 15 July 2013 (UTC)
- The "specific publication" is online, so feel free to open. If you feel the hook is "crap", I beg to differ; readers will likely wonder "did what", which is interesting. — Crisco 1492 (talk) 00:31, 16 July 2013 (UTC)
- Apologies for the bluntness. I just thought the hook was a bit lack lustre. Being coached into your career by the president just seemed to be more enticing, and Reagan is a lot more recognizable perhaps than Lindbergh. Would you prefer the hook "..lost his eye..." over "...was commissioned by the president..."? Violence is a tragedy, whereas being endorsed is an honour. Well you'll have my vote if you don't use the eye for a hook. ~ R.T.G 01:02, 16 July 2013 (UTC)
- I'm not going for any eye hooks, no. Leave the ALT up, so the promoter can have his or her choice — Crisco 1492 (talk) 01:25, 16 July 2013 (UTC)
- ~ R.T.G 19:47, 16 July 2013 (UTC)
- I was interested in promoting with ALT1, which I prefer to the original, but it needs an independent review; RTG can't approve it since RTG suggested it (per WP:DYKSG#H2). BlueMoonset (talk) 14:15, 24 July 2013 (UTC)
- REVIEW COMPLETED - The following has been checked in this review by Maile
- QPQ done by Crisco 1492
- Earwig @ Toolserver found no copyvio
- Article created by Mike Peel on July 4, 2008
- Pre-expansion size was a 2-sentence Stub of 292 characters
- Expansion began on July 15, 2013 and is currently 3965 characters of readable prose
- Every paragraph sourced online
- Alt1 is interesting, and referenced online at the end of the appropriate sentence by Ref 10
- Image is from NASA and licensed on Commons
Good 2 go — Maile (talk) 21:01, 27 July 2013 (UTC)