- The following discussion is an archived discussion of the DYK nomination of the article below. Please do not modify this page. Subsequent comments should be made on the appropriate discussion page (such as this nomination's talk page, the article's talk page or Wikipedia talk:Did you know), unless there is consensus to re-open the discussion at this page. No further edits should be made to this page.
The result was: promoted by PFHLai (talk) 05:44, 26 October 2013 (UTC)
Harry Dorsey Gough
Created by LlywelynII (talk). Self nominated at 12:48, 22 October 2013 (UTC).
- Hook is AGF referenced, article is long enough, pictures are PD. A few issues though, fix them and the article should be good to go:
- Could you link planter in the lead and point it to the right one? It's not clear to me what this means or should mean.
- I was leary of ending up with a list of unhelpful links to obvious English words like "merchant". (And, really, planter has only one definition it could possibly mean.) But we're here to serve readers and the page has obviously had at least one confused one. (It's probably not very commonly used outside the South, since plantations are rare on the ground these days.) Fixed.
- If you look at planter, the page I linked, there were several it could be (A coloniser; Ancient planter, a colonist receiving one of the first land grants in Virginia; A farmer; Planter (plantation owner), in the American antebellum South). I wanted to make sure it was right. Oreo Priest talk 14:42, 24 October 2013 (UTC)
- "As his new home was near Patapsco Ferry and he had extensive holdings in the colonies, he took their part against the Crown." Who is 'he'? And when "he took their part against the Crown" - what does that mean? Is this talking about his or his father's choice of sides in the revolution way out of sequence?
- Thomas, his father. Phrasing somewhat improved, although the reference really doesn't support any clearer statement of Thomas's involvement. — LlywelynII 11:16, 24 October 2013 (UTC)
- I still think it's strange to talk about the American Revolution so early for his father and only mention it much later for the man himself, but I suppose it's fine. Oreo Priest talk 14:42, 24 October 2013 (UTC)
- I've taken the liberty of adding section headings to improve readability -Oreo Priest talk 02:53, 24 October 2013 (UTC)
- Issues have been addressed, good to go in my opinion. Oreo Priest talk 14:42, 24 October 2013 (UTC)