Template:In the news
- The Yavuz Sultan Selim Bridge (pictured under construction), the world's tallest suspension bridge, opens to traffic across the Bosphorus.
- The exoplanet Proxima Centauri b is discovered in the habitable zone around Proxima Centauri, the closest star to the Sun.
- The Turkish-backed Free Syrian Army captures Jarabulus from the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant.
- A magnitude 6.2 earthquake hits central Italy, killing at least 290 people.
- The Summer Olympics conclude in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
|In the news toolbox|
In the news mentions and links to entries of timely interest — that is encyclopedia articles that have been updated to reflect an important current event — rather than conventional news items. To prevent vandalism on the Main Page, it is a permanently protected template. See Wikipedia:In the news for more details.
See an error? Please note it on Wikipedia:Main Page/Errors for administrator assistance. Thanks.
The template accepts one parameter: adding
|nocurrenteventslink=1 removes the link to Portal:Current events. This is used on the current events page to hide the link there.
Admins: after updating please purge the cache of the Main Page so that the updated version appears.
In terms of Main Page balance, right now we're configured for widescreen monitors, which it appears most editors use. Non-widescreen users, please do not change the balance even if it looks off on your monitor.
|The above documentation is transcluded from Template:In the news/doc. (edit | history)
Editors can experiment in this template's sandbox (edit | diff) and testcases (edit) pages.
Please add categories to the /doc subpage. Subpages of this template.