Template talk:Automotive marques of General Motors
|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Automotive marques of General Motors template.
|This template is of interest to multiple WikiProjects. Click [show] for further details.|
Update to template
I plan on updating this template to the one available here as long as there no disagreements. The major changes are that the new template uses default font sizes and it auto-collapses.
Brands and affiliates
05:03, August 27, 2009 DeFacto (talk | contribs) (1,388 bytes) (Removed "Affiliates" and "Former Affiliates" company names - this template is for GM brands)
Why not include affiliates? There is no other template for them - they don't appear in Template:General Motors. Be careful removing whole sections of templates - now you have a bunch of articles with a template they're not part of. I suggest either restoring the affiliates to this template, or consider adding them to the General Motors template. --Vossanova o< 13:37, 27 August 2009 (UTC)
- I agree. I didn't think it through fully. I've back-tracked for now. My problem was with the discrepancy between the article title and the article content. Does anyone else have any opinions on it? -- de Facto (talk). 18:09, 27 August 2009 (UTC)
- Going through the links, I'm starting to think we should remove "Former affiliates". I think brands are only worth putting here if someone bothered to put this template on their page. Suzuki, Fiat, Subaru, and Isuzu don't have the template. But Daewoo and Wuling, for example, are associated with GM much more often. --Vossanova o< 18:19, 27 August 2009 (UTC)
- IMO adding an "Affiliate" section to Template:General Motors would makes sense. NUMMI and CAMI in particular are manufacturing partnerships and not consumer brands. Atarivideomusic (talk) 03:50, 28 September 2009 (UTC)
When Hummer, Saab, and Saturn officially change owners, I'm thinking of moving them to a new section, Former brands, rather than Defunct brands, because "defunct" suggests they no longer exist. Anyone disagree or have another suggestion? --Vossanova o< 13:37, 9 September 2009 (UTC)
- I believe GM will retain some ownership interest in all of these brands, so they could be moved to the affiliate section (with the percentage noted). This also includes Opel/Vauxhall, BTW. Atarivideomusic (talk) 03:56, 28 September 2009 (UTC)
I know GM is phasing out the Daewoo brand, but isn't it currently still being used? I ask because Pontiac/Saturn stayed on this list until production ended. Atarivideomusic (talk) 06:25, 17 March 2011 (UTC)
- From what I can gather at gmdaewoo.co.kr and gm-korea.co.kr, everything is now a Chevrolet, except the Alpheon, which seems to be its own brand or brandless. It looks like the Daewoo brand is officially phased out. --Vossanova o< 14:38, 17 March 2011 (UTC)
Is there any reason I shouldn't add Yellow Cab Manufacturing Company into this one? They were still a separate division making taxis well into the 1930's after John D. Hertz sold his company to GM. ---------User:DanTD (talk) 16:16, 5 August 2015 (UTC)