Template talk:Book of Mormon
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|WikiProject Latter Day Saint movement||(Rated Template-class, Mid-importance)|
Comments on template creation
- I've added the template near the top of each article listed on it, except for the links in the "people" section. I'm wondering if that section is a good idea or not. ...comments? ~BFizz 17:16, 14 February 2011 (UTC)
Inclusion of portals in template
- There are multiple denominations in the Latter Day Saint movement that use the Book of Mormon, and giving special attention to the LDS Church is unjustified in this context
- Additionally arguments that the LDS Church is the biggest in the movement doesn't matter in this instance
- This template is for material that is core to the topic
- The topic is the BoM, not LDS Church
- The Book of Mormon preceded all forms of all churches in movement, so again denominational specific links in the template are not justified.
- Reasons for inclusion
- The Portal:Latter-day Saints does also include other denominations at the bottom of the portal, so the other denominations are mentioned.
- The LDS church is the biggest denomination and is so rightfully dominant in this portal, so we can in good faith link to them.
- The LDS church and the Book of Mormon belong together, its members are even called Mormons.
- Portal:Latter-day Saints has always been, and currently remains denomination specific; the small smattering of information in the Latter-day Saints topics template does not change this fact.
- The size of the LDS Church doesn't matter in this discussion.
- Regardless of the intent of the LDS Church, the term Mormon is not exclusive to members of the LDS Church.
- I have already stated both above and in the previous edit summaries why I think adding that portal here is a bad idea. Additionally, I think you are confusing not being noticed with acceptance: I was busy in real life, or I would have reverted it immediately after you had added it back, and 6 days sets no precedence. The reason why I opened this dialog on this talk page was to gain consensus, and this should be established before your change is reinstated. As you appear to frequently switch between IP address with your German ISP, there was no way to be sure to notify you about this discussion, other than in the edit summary of the reverts.
- I have invited participants of wp:LDS to this discussion (see: Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Latter Day Saint movement#Discussion at Template talk:Book of Mormon), and if that doesn't generate any commentary here in the next week or two, then I'll individually invite some of the more active participants of that project. You are also welcome to invite editors you think might be interested to this discussion; I find template:Please see particularly helpful in that process. -- 22.214.171.124 (talk) 17:35, 23 May 2014 (UTC)
- It would also be possible to file a request for comment as per WP:RFC if there are insufficient comments without such. Speaking for myself, personally, I would oppose the inclusion of a link to the LDS portal for what may well be the reason that links to the other various portals for various Christian denominations or groupings are apparently not included in Template:Books of the New Testament, that there are numerous groups which value the Book of Mormon, and inclusion of any one would presumably mean that potentially inclusion of others would be required as well as they are created. That would be far too many on the NT books template. John Carter (talk) 19:53, 27 May 2014 (UTC)