Template talk:Brown Cabinet
|WikiProject Politics of the United Kingdom||(Rated Template-class)|
I have revised the cabinet list in line with that at http://www.numberten.gov.uk/output/Page1371.asp, which involves knocking a few names off. Please note that being a minister in the government is not the same as being a cabinet minister! Grblundell 17:40, 8 July 2007 (UTC)
Reason for my rv
The template's groups weren't made for so many section within them and the format I tried out simply doesn't give an accurate portrayal of cabinet. When the "Alsos" and the "On agendas" are thrown into the mix we have an even greater disparity because they are can fit into any of the three categories at the whim of the prime minister after a reshuffle. There is also the problem of what order to list them because the order of seniority also changes based on the prime minister's whim. It was a good effort to show all former cabinet ministers but was ended up being cluttered and unattractive. All former ministers are on the Brown Ministry page which needs, unfortunately, a good deal more prose and better than I can give. Therequiembellishere (talk) 18:31, 6 February 2010 (UTC)
MInistries of ministers
instead of just adding the names of the ministers which most people outside the UK (probably withing too) will have no idea, i think it might be a good idea to summarise which ministry they have. For example: Darling (Exchequer), Miliband (Foreign [and Commonwealth])Lihaas (talk) 08:21, 8 May 2010 (UTC)
What to do
Now that Brown is out this template is in an odd state and we must figure out what we shall do with it. I have come up with four possible options:
- Keep as is, showing the final cabinet.
- Keep in the current format, add former ministers (ex: Hazel Blears, Catherine Ashton, James Purnell...) in alphabetically.
- Move to a list form with different groups (see previous edits).
- Delete the template (pretty much the nuclear option).
- Keep with final cabinet and also add in former Cabinet ministers under Brown, then it will be a comprehensive reference, supplementing Brown Ministry. The format could be improved though, a bare list of names is a bit odd. Shouldn't their Cabinet posts also be included, a la Template:Tony Blair Cabinet? Fences&Windows 12:45, 2 June 2010 (UTC)
I created a template that would effectively be option B after tweaking some templates from Polish Wikipedia (how I got onto Polish Wikipedia puzzles myself), anyway, here it is:
The one problem I see is with individuals who fit into multiple categories (like Yvette Cooper as a full member and an attendee), I decided to place individuals in at their highest point when they would fall into multiple categories.-[[User: Duffy2032|Duffy2032]] (talk) 09:04, 6 June 2010 (UTC)