From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
What exactly is the basis (i.e the policy) underlying the use of this tag?
- For example its use on Solar Energy Generating Systems is really strange. There are a few extra figures there that each tell an additional part of the story and without which the story would be lessened in quality. One could even argue that the pictures in the gallery belong more on the page than all the rather large diagrams. The latter are hardly specific to the Solar Energy Generating Systems sites but of a more generic nature. It would seem to this unprepared reader that it is the ugly and inappropriate tag that needs clean-up not the appropriate pictures.
- I found one that I linked in the Template at Wikipedia:Image_use_policy#Photo_galleries per my post at Wikipedia:Village_pump_(policy)#Contradictory_Templates_Template:Cleanup-gallery_and_Template:Gallery Since this tempalte is being used on most pages with Template:Gallery violates the policy, I am considering adding the Template:Gallery on WP:TFD to be deleted and would clean up this mess already. Sawblade05 (talk to me | my wiki life) 02:16, 30 November 2008 (UTC)
- The location of that policy has changed slightly (to Wikipedia:Image_use_policy#Image_galleries) so I've edited it accordingly. The policy does say that there are instances where you would legitimately use a gallery, so the gallery template is still useful; it's the indiscriminate galleries that are the problem. Anaxial (talk) 07:55, 21 March 2009 (UTC)
- I tweaked further to "looks like an inappropriate image gallery". Having reviewed a number of the articles, especially those on art, I found it inappropriately placed on over 50% (all removed). Many people still don't realize how WP:IG has shifted, & that all art FAs for a long time have had galleries. Johnbod (talk) 04:52, 6 December 2010 (UTC)
- I have reverted the changes User:Johnbod made as I do not think a global template should be biased to favour one small corner of Wikipedia. And as for "all art FAs for a long time have had galleries" - complete nonsense. memphisto 15:57, 3 March 2011 (UTC)