Template talk:Edmonton neighbourhoods
|WikiProject Canada / Alberta / Communities||(Rated Template-class)|
I see that Template:Edmonton neighbourhoods redirects to Template:Edmonton neighborhoods. Should it not be the other way around where the Canadian spelling prevails? The City of Edmonton uses the Canadian spelling. Hwy43 (talk) 03:35, 30 January 2011 (UTC)
- Looking at the histories, it appears that for a time both existed, so the one with the longer history was kept. 117Avenue (talk) 04:07, 30 January 2011 (UTC)
- Thanks for checking that. Length of histories aside, should this be moved to Template:Edmonton neighbourhoods to reflect the Canadian spelling? Hwy43 (talk) 07:02, 31 January 2011 (UTC)
Geographic sector breakdown
With the recently revised geographic sector breakdown at List of neighbourhoods in Edmonton, this template needs to be revised to reflect such. Before I take a stab at it, is there a way to add multiple sub-groups to each group? It would be handy to nest "Jasper Place" and "Beverly" as sub-groups under "Mature Area" to differentiate their specific neighbourhoods from the balance. Hwy43 (talk) 04:51, 19 September 2012 (UTC)
- It can be done with Template:Navbox subgroup. But I have been thinking is it necessary to link every neighbourhood to every neighbourhood? We could introduce a parameter that will make the display of each sector an opt in. 117Avenue (talk) 01:32, 20 September 2012 (UTC)
- Thanks for the tip, 117. I've taken a stab without any opt in parameters. I'm open to that as the template is now lengthier. I invite you to view it here and provide feedback or edit it. Hwy43 (talk) 04:38, 6 December 2012 (UTC)
@Hwy43: I figured it was about time that I got around to this. There are still some checks I need to do, but you can see what it looks like at User:117Avenue/sandbox and User:117Avenue/doc. What do you think? 117Avenue (talk) 04:35, 11 November 2017 (UTC)
- 117Avenue, this looks really good, and much bigger than I expected, but it is what it is. Thank you for doing it. Do you think it would only be displayed in its entirety on List of neighbourhoods in Edmonton, with only the applicable sectors called out when in use in each neighbourhood article?
The following are my comments.
- Notwithstanding the temporary names on Edmonton’s wards and neighbourhoods map, drop the ‘Area’ suffixes for Clover Bar, Chappelle, Desrochers, Hays Ridge, Heritage Valley Town Centre, Keswick, Trumpeter, Kinokamau Plains, and McConachie as it is not part of their common names
- Similarly change Glenridding Area to Glenridding Ravine as the latter is the common name
- Should the sectors be listed alphabetically, or clockwise starting with the north sector after the mature area sector?
- Blatchford is intended only to be one neighbourhood; it should likely therefore be listed within the other neighbourhoods within the mature areas sector
- Casselman-Steele Heights is split between the mature area and northeast sectors; any thought about splitting them and how to do so?
- I see CPR West has been officially renamed Strathcona Junction; though comparing the Strathcona Junction ARP with neighbourhood boundaries, the ARP is inclusive of the majority of CPR Irvine as well; in any event, does Strathcona Junction warrant its own article? The ARP appears to allow for residential uses between 104 Street and Gateway Boulevard
- I wonder if Mill Woods Golf Course should be within Woodvale and Mill Woods Park within Lakewood, both in the template and list article, per the community mapping in the Mill Woods Development Concept
- Add Mattson to Southeast Edmonton in the southeast sector
- Also in the southeast sector, Rural South East should likely be struck now that Decoteau is recognized, Mattson covers the remaining portion in Southeast Edmonton, and the recently expanded The Orchards at Ellerslie covers the remaining portion in Ellerslie (The Orchards has consumed what was going to be Ellerslie Nbhd 4)
- Add Grandisle, Stillwater, and White Birch to Riverview in the west sector
- Replace Rural West Big Lake with Pintail Landing in Big Lake within the northwest sector
- Add Marquis to Horse Hill in the northeast sector
- Also, move Rural North East South Sturgeon from others to Horse Hill in the northeast sector
- Edmonton Energy and Technology Park, though vast, doesn’t appear to be planned for disaggregation into neighbourhoods; it should likely therefore be listed within the other neighbourhoods within the northeast sector
- If no, I suggest replacing the bluelinked EETP acronym with it spelled out and the Edmonton Energy and Technology Park that follows be replaced with Rural North East North Sturgeon
- Hopefully the above list of comments is exhaustive, but I can’t guarantee there won’t be a couple more that I’ve missed in my first pass. Cheers, Hwy43 (talk) 07:19, 28 December 2017 (UTC)