Template talk:Mega Man series
|WikiProject Video games||(Rated Template-class)|
What is this?
Why does this exist? Why is the title misspelled? Why is it so large? What is its purpose? When was it discussed? Most importantly, why is it on almost, but not quite all pages relating to the Mega Man series?
I'm especially wondering why, since it appears to be an incredibly incomplete list of games, it appears on non-game pages (including List of Mega Man games, strangely enough). --Boco XLVII 5 July 2005 16:16 (UTC)
First of all the title is not mispelled and the list is not "incredibly incomplete," i felt like making a template because it is an important series. And second of all its purpose is for navigation, and third of all its not quite finished yet. Maybe if you actually helped instead of complaining about it it would be better off....--Zxcvbnm 5 July 2005 19:47 (UTC)
- Misspelled: The accepted spelling here is Mega Man, not Megaman.
- Incomplete: You have about 1/3 or fewer of the games listed there. See the List of Mega Man games article.
- Unneccessary: Links to the game's main series and the series as a whole pages are already on each page. There is already a category for games and a list for games so there is no need for a template for games. The box is large, out of context, and provides no information a link to the list of games cannot. --Boco XLVII 5 July 2005 20:33 (UTC)
So, really, why does this exist again? --Boco XLVII 6 July 2005 16:35 (UTC)
Its for navigation, do you really think people want to go to the incomplete links on the bottom of each game and the list of games everytime they want to view a different game? And its not that large, considering this is a common size for templates. Why dont you go protest about templates like this
if you think they are so unnecessary.--Zxcvbnm 6 July 2005 21:57 (UTC)
- If it means anything, I don't think this template's really hurting anything; if anything, it allows for easy access to any of the other Mega Man titles. I'm not against it in the slightest. --Shadow Hog 6 July 2005 23:40 (UTC)
- I dislike it because there exist both a category and a list already, and the template is a very incomplete list. I fail to see a reason to have the template rather than have a link to the list of games. I would not object to a template that did a previous/next link (such as the oe for US Presidents). But despite my objections I won't remove it or alter it negatively if consensus says it should stay (I'm not that stupid). --Boco XLVII 7 July 2005 04:05 (UTC)
- The list is anything but incomplete- it has all the megaman games ever made. And the list article has the full names and release dates of the games so it is useful as a complement to the template.--Zxcvbnm 9 July 2005 01:31 (UTC)
- Uhm, what? "all the megaman games ever made"? I don't see most of the spinoff games, portable games, etc, on the template, and I don't see any of the cellphone games on the list (and there are quite a few). Sorry but you are very wrong. --Boco XLVII 9 July 2005 07:19 (UTC)
- So add them!--Zxcvbnm 9 July 2005 13:12 (UTC)
- ...and have 95+ games on a useless template when there's already a mostly-complete list? No thanks. --Boco XLVII 9 July 2005 16:27 (UTC)
In order to illustrate the uselessness of this template I am adding more games to it. Anyone is free to revert. --Boco XLVII 18:14, 10 July 2005 (UTC)
I changed the titles of the classic-series games to their official names with Arabic numerals (e.g. Mega Man 5) from their unofficial names with Roman numerals (e.g. Mega Man V). I'm updating the template to reflect this. StarryEyes 15:22, 3 February 2006 (UTC)
Template is now difficult to read
I don't know about you guys, but the template is now difficult to read. The Battle Network games look as if they've been lumped together with the Legends games on my setting. Wouldn't it be better to separate the games off into clearly labelled subsections like it was before? The CVG guidelines, clearly state that its okay to do this if it is necessary to make the template easy to understand. Wolf ODonnell 14:16, 17 January 2007 (UTC)
- I'm wondering why the subsections were removed in the first place, actually. It's much better if they were clearly labelled, even templates much smaller than this one use them for easy reading, Like that Bungie studios one higher up on this page. - Zero1328 Talk? 02:58, 20 January 2007 (UTC)
Mega Man Universe
The section for the handheld games in the main series is labelled "platform". I presume this is a mistake, since all the main series games are platformers. So...change it to "handheld"? — Preceding unsigned comment added by 22.214.171.124 (talk) 17:43, 18 May 2012 (UTC)
Also created alternate templates. If anyone disagrees, I'm welcomed to a compromise. I believe this version is not only easier to navigate but also more informative.Lucia Black (talk) 07:41, 3 September 2013 (UTC)