|professor kolapo olubunmi olusola|
|Assumed office |
16 Oct 2014
|Preceded by||professor Modupe Adelabu|
|Born||24 May 1968 (age 50)|
|Political party||People's Democratic Party (PDP)|
|Spouse(s)||Janet olusola olubumi|
Prof. Kolapo Olubunmi Olushola was born to the family of Pa. Joshua Olusola Eleka and Deaconess Eunice Ademolabi Ojo Eleka in the year 1968. His parents are both indigenes of Ikere-Ekiti, in the Southern region of Ekiti State.
Olusola Eleka had his first degree in Building from Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU), and later got a Master’s Degree in Construction Technology from the University of Lagos. He continued his quest for knowledge as he has his Ph.D. in Building Structures from Obafemi Awolowo University.
Kolapo Olusola started his career as a lecturer in the year 1990 when he was employed as a graduate assistant, he has continued to rise in the academics as he became an Associate Professor in the year 2009.
It was the position that Kolapo Olusola Eleka held till 2014 when he became the Deputy Governor in Ekiti State.
Prof. Kolapo Olubunmi Olusola was born to the family of Elder and Deaconess Olusola Ojo Eleka of Eleka’s compound in Ikere-Ekiti some 49 years ago. He started his educational pursuit at St. Matthew’s Primary School, Ikere-Ekiti (1972-1978) and had his Secondary School Education at Annunciation School, Ikere-Ekiti (1978-1983) where he recorded exceptional outstanding performances as an award and prize winning best student throughout his sojourn in the schools, The enviable academic feat was equally achieved in his first degree five-year University education at Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife between 1984 and 1989. He had his first degree in Building from Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU) and graduated as the best student in his set. Prof Kolapo Olusola also holds a Master’s Degree in Construction Technology from University of Lagos in 1993 and Ph.D. in Building Structures from Obafemi Awolowo University in 2005.
Prof Kolapo Olusola started his career in 1990 as a Graduate Assistant from where he rose through the ranks to become an Associate Professor in 2009. Until his election as Deputy Governor of Ekiti State, Prof Olusola was an accomplished teacher in the Department of Building, Obafemi Awolowo University for twenty-four (24) years. At the postgraduate level, he had successfully supervised two PhD students at Obafemi Awolowo University. He also successfully supervised two PhD students at Covenant University, Ota; as main supervisor of one and as co-supervisor of the other. He had equally supervised two M.Phil and nine M.Sc. students, all in the field of Building Structures within the past nine years after obtaining his PhD degree. He had severally served as External examiner in many Universities within the country.
His research interests are mainly in the field of Alternative Building Materials Development for Housing Construction, Construction Technology and Structural Mechanics. He has over fifty (50) academic research publications in local and international journals and conference proceedings to his credit.
Beyond this high profile reputation and enviable aforementioned academic records, Prof Kolapo Olusola is a very diligent, hardworking and principled leader whose legacies and achievements in the areas of human-power empowerment and capacity building during the past few years as the Ekiti State Deputy Governor has continued to attract many admirers and followers to him. As an epitome of humility, he radiates love and affection towards people around him. More significantly, his unflinching loyalty to his boss, His Excellency, Prof Peter Ayodele Fayose, the Executive Governor of Ekiti State is notable and has made both the young and old people of Ekiti adjudge him as “Stabilizing Factor” and a special gift not only to his boss but to the entire people of Ekiti State.
Political Career and how he became Deputy Governor
Before the year 2014, Kolapo Olusola Eleka was totally unknown in the political sphere in Ekiti State. Just as the candidature of Ayo Fayose came as a surprise to many in the PDP, so also did his Deputy.
Rumour had it that Ayo Fayose wanted Kolapo Olusola’s father as his running mate.
According to prof. Olusola Eleka, Fayose got to know about him after he spoke with his father in his presence on phone. This was the start of their relationship which later led to him becoming the Deputy Governor. He has since vowed to be loyal to Ayodele Fayose.
Emergence as Governorship Candidate – Ekiti 2018
On September 6th 2017, the Governor of Ekiti State, Gov Peter Ayodele Fayose endorsed him, as his successor.
The news came as a shock to many, but seems like a wise move politically since the Ekiti South Senatorial District have been clamouring for a Governor.
Ekiti State Deputy Governor, Prof. Kolapo Olusola-Eleka emerged the winner of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) governorship primary election, in the month of May 2018.
The News Agency of Nigeria, (NAN) reported that a total of 1,968 delegates were accredited and voted at the primary poll.
Out of the total of number of votes, as announced by leader of PDP electoral committee, Gov. Ifeanyi Okowa of Delta, Eleka scored 1,190 to defeat the only challenger in the race, a former Minister of Works, Mr Dayo Adeyeye, who scored 771 votes.
Awards and personal achievements
Professionally, Prof Kolapo Olusola Eleka is an accomplished Registered Builder who had previously held very important positions at state and national levels (Osun State N.I.OB. – Nigerian Institute of Building – Chairman 2006-2009 during which the state Chapter was able to host the national convention of NIOB for the first time; At National level – Registrar of N.I.O.B., 2007-2009, Research Secretary 2009 – 2011 and Member, National Council of NIOB, 2006 – 2011; Examiner, NIOB 1998-2002; 2006 – 2011).
As part of noble recognition accorded this prolific son of Ekiti, the following Awards have been given to him, which include:
- Service Leadership Award by University of Pittsburg, USA (For Exemplary Servant Leadership and Commitment to Excellence in Teaching and Learning Assessment in Ekiti State)
- Best Builder in Administration by Ekiti State Chapter of the Nigerian Institute of Building (Merit Award)
- Special Recognition Award by Nigerian Institute of Quantity Surveyors of Nigeria
- Award of Recognition by Joint National Built Environment Conference, Nigeria
- Professional Award of Recognition by Stanford University, USA
- Professional Award of Recognition by University of Pittsburgh, USA
- Award of Excellence as Outstanding God’s Army General by Word of Redemption
- Outstanding Commitment to Education Award
- Award of Recognition for contribution and commitment to the growth of Education in Ekiti State by Shepherd International College, Nigeria.
- Special Achievement Award for Nation-Building and Grass-root Development by Oshoko Mass Movement, Nigeria.
- Outstanding Award of Recognition for Commitment to Education by Gemina Illuminous International, Nigeria.
- Award of appreciation by Christ Apostolic Church, Victorious Assembly, Ile-Ife.
- Ohaneze Award as Enyi Ndigbo in recognition of commitment and contribution towards the welfare and progress of NDIGBO in Ekiti Land.
- Award of Excellence as “OUTSTANDING Old Boy” by Old Boy’s Association of Annunciation School, Ikere – Ekiti.
- Award of Excellence as the Best Friend of Nigerian Students by Students’ Union Government, Federal Polytechnic, Ado.
- Award of Honour by National Association of Ikere Students; to mention a few.