|WikiProject Paranormal||(Rated Template-class)|
This template is meant to link up main articles related to paranormal beliefs. It may be a good idea to remain minimalistic here. Please don't spam. --Nealparr (talk to me) 07:49, 3 February 2008 (UTC)
How does this template work in terms of the preexisting Template:Parapsychology? Which entries belong in one, which belong in the other, which belong in both? -Verdatum (talk) 15:06, 5 February 2008 (UTC)
- Also, while the parapsychology nav should include many obscure articles related to parapsychology, there's just way too many when it comes to Category:Paranormal. I'm hoping this template can be minimalistic and cover highly notable topics or topics that are categories unto themselves, for example Ghosts, Forteana and Parapsychology. All of those are encompassing of many topics.
- There may be some duplicate entries between the paranormal sidebar and the parapsychology footer, but it's not as redundant as it may seem. If you look at psychology, they have both a sidebar and footer covering the same information in both.
- I didn't want this navbox to be obtrusive, so I made it where it could be collapsed and not compete with other templates or infoboxes. That's why it's a sidebar versus footer bar. It can be tucked away in a "See also" or "Further reading" section and not dominate the page.
Science, Paranormal and Limitations of Science
Science is dependent on reproducible registration by human sensations. We all know that science has alot of limitation in what we know! About human life and death itself we are not knowing many things. And we must accept that science is the name of continous search and change. For all these reasons I feel we should be cautious about denying existence of otherside of the nature which remains unexplored and we should leave that to our future generations. May be some day we know them all! —Preceding unsigned comment added by Drmanku (talk • contribs) 22:22, 18 October 2008 (UTC)
Keep it simple
Keeping it simple would be just a list of articles. That is useful. Having the articles and the skeptical ones makes it a "ya but this is why they are all false" kind of billboard. Tom Butler (talk) 21:53, 25 January 2011 (UTC)
- Deleting the opposing POV makes it violate NPOV. It should cover all significant sides of the subject. There are far too many articles listed. It's not supposed to be a duplication of the contents of the Category. This old version looks much better. It should also show the Category. -- Brangifer (talk) 20:05, 28 January 2011 (UTC)
- If you insist on including skeptical then balance it with science and reasons for conflict. Otherwise lets delete the whole thing.Tom Butler (talk) 00:44, 4 February 2011 (UTC)
I think it is a good idea to delete the whole box then. Saying this is paranormal and this is what the skeptics say is just another forum for conflict. While they may not be real, the rest of the story is told by the science articles and sociological dynamics of emergent ideas.
I have added Scientific literacy to the "Related articles on Social change and Parapsychology" section. A major issue for people interested in these subjects is the lack of guidance from mainstream science. Except for a handful of academically trained researchers in parapsychology, there is virtually no culture of science leadership within the frontier subject community. In the sense intended by the National Science Foundation, improved education would probably change the character of how these subjects are viewed by people in the frontier subject community. Tom Butler (talk) 17:21, 25 April 2011 (UTC)
Addition to template
UFOs not paranormal?
After adding this Navbox to a large set of UFO related articles (as well as other woo items), another editor deleted all the UFO ones claiming the topic is not Paranormal. This despite me pointing out that WikiProject Paranormal flagged the articles, and the Navbox itself has UFOs in its list. Please see the discussion here. Anyone care to join in the argument on that page? If not, the Paranormal boxes will likely stay off. RobP (talk) 16:25, 29 May 2017 (UTC)