Template talk:Ranma ½
|WikiProject Anime and manga||(Rated Template-class)|
Adding new category to template
After considering a sugestion made by an anon, I suggest a Major Adversaries section to be added. Since Saffron, Ryu Kumon and Herb don't fit in other categories, that new section which would allow those characters to be in the template.Facer 20:15, 30 October 2006 (UTC)
- Also should consider Tsubasa in here somewhere. Derekloffin 20:41, 8 November 2006 (UTC)
I've given this an edit attempt (mostly because I'm sick of not having links to numerous character pages in obvious places). I'm not overly pleased with my look though, and categorizing some is no doubt disputable (is Mariko a major adversary for instance). Derekloffin 00:57, 10 November 2006 (UTC)
- Lol, you beat me to adding the major adversaries section to the template (I was waiting for the 4 weeks period mentioned in the wikirules), but it's all cool. By the way, Mariko is a major adversary, but I'll add a comment on that here later tonight (I'm at the office right now). Good job anyway.Facer 20:22, 10 November 2006 (UTC)
Going by the manga, I believe a character should be considered a major adversary if he/she:
- Appears only once.
- Helps to move the overall story forward.
- Has an entire story-arc devoted to him/her.
- Is more powerful than the members of the regular cast or those involved in the story.
I think it’s obvious why Pantyhose Taro belongs here, even if he appeared more than once in the manga.
Herb and Saffron are also obvious.
Mariko is not only the strongest female opponent Ranma has to defeat using only his girl form, and her story-arc helped move the overall story a little, by accidentally forcing Ranma to declare her love for Akane in front of the whole school (in the anime, this was also the story-arc where Ranma’s curse is revealed to all the school.)
I really don’t think that Ryu Kumon is really more powerful than Ranma, Ryoga and Mousse (but I admit he’s a cool character), however, his fighting style gives him a great advantage, and his story-arc helped bring Ranma closer to Nodoka, so he qualifies as a major adversary.
Rouge should be here as well, she has a full story-arc devoted to herself and her cursed form is more powerful than the regular cast.Facer 03:54, 11 November 2006 (UTC)
Lately, the template has been on the verge of falling on an edit war due to constant editing by anons, particularly of the major adversaries section, so I had to protect it until an agreement of its contents is achieved, if that annoys some of you, I truly apologize for the inconvenience.
Above, I posted a series of characteristics major adversaries have according to the way they were presented in the manga which I believe helped to define why they were placed in that category. Going by that, it's clear that neither Ryoga nor Happosai fall into that place. While I admit the two of them are Ranma's biggest rivals, they are also important recurring characters who have appeared in a few story arcs helping Ranma in one way or the other. The major adversaries such as Mariko, Herb or Saffron appear once and don't have friendly ties with the cast.
Pantyhose Taro and Rouge are slightly different, but should also fall into the major adversaries category. While Taro appears more than once, his monster form is more powerful (at least at first) than the rest of the regular cast, he is not friends with Ranma and always gets a full story arc devoted to him. Rouge is similar, only that she appears just once (with a story arc devoted to her) and makes friends with the Tendos, also, her cursed form is powerful enough to consider her stronger than the regular cast.
Finally, while Taro is from China, so are Herb, Rouge and Saffron, but they were agreed to belong into the major adversaries category.Facer 16:19, 15 November 2006 (UTC)
- ... Looks like you're being ignored there Facer. I say put the protected status back. Derekloffin 18:28, 15 November 2006 (UTC)
- You're right Derek, but I don't want to fall into a trick that would make me break the 3 revert rule; it's a common practice by anons to try to have registered users like us falling for that. I'll just leave the template like it is for now and tomorrow or over the weekend, I'll protect it again (or you could change it back to my last edit and protect it if you want), that's just to give the anons a chance to post their part here.
- But now that I think of it, anon user Urusei Yatsura pages. I'm not against this anon contributing with the pages; it's just that it would help if he/she stopped acting like an overenthusiastic, stubborn fanatic who hates to discuss his points of view. , who according to his WHOIS logs from Middletown, Connecticut, was also causing trouble to the folks who maintain the
I'll end this war right now with my explanation. I am reclassifying certain characters to better fit their roles in the series. For Ryoga and Happosai, they seem to be Ranma's greatest adversaries and thus belong under Major Adversaries. Each is around often enough to be seen as a major character, not just a recurring/minor character. As for Pantyhose Taro, he is a native of China, born near Jusenkyo in fact. I feel that since that is a major part of how he got to be the way he is, he should be classified under Chinese. Additionally, he doesn't appear often enough to merit being called a Major Adversary, although he's around often enough to play a fairly large role. I had one more reason to change it as I did: arranging it like this reduces the amount of empty space present on each line. From here on, I will focus on the articles only, generally in terms of grammar and spelling, as they're often atrocious. Anon user14:22, 16 November 2006