Template talk:Rooster Teeth Productions
|WikiProject Animation / Computer / Machinima||(Rated Template-class)|
|WikiProject Video games||(Rated Template-class)|
By default, this template will automatically categorize articles in which it is included under Category:Rooster Teeth Productions. The category can be overridden by specifying a value for the "cat" parameter. If you specify an unnamed parameter to this template, that will be used as the sort key. Otherwise, the page name will be used.
Splitting this template
This template is getting a bit large. Insipred by the CVG project push for navbox template standardization and cleanup, I'm suggesting the following:
First, we're using custom styles. Let's ditch those and use the standard "navbox" CSS class.
Secondly, chances are that if you're looking at Grif's article, you're probably more likely to want to stay in the Red vs. Blue than to look at, say, PANICS. I therfore suggest splitting the template up and condensing.
First, one for the personnel:
|Rooster Teeth Productions personnel|
|Burnie Burns • Matt Hullum • Geoff Ramsey • Jason Saldaña • Gustavo Sorola
Dan Godwin • Joel Heyman • Kathleen Zuelch
Then, one for Rooster Teeth's productions:
|Rooster Teeth Productions machinima|
|Red vs. Blue • The Strangerhood • PANICS|
Then one for the "high-level" Red vs. Blue articles:
|Red vs. Blue|
|Sseason 1 • 2 • 3 • 4 • 5 • Out of Mind • Specials • Production • Characters|
And one for the individual main Red vs. Blue characters:
|Red vs. Blue characters|
|Sarge • Simmons • Grif • Donut
Church • Tucker • Caboose • Tex
So, what got cut? The links to the games, the two auxiliary Strangerhood articles, and the RvB maps article. Here's my rationale for each:
- The games can be found easily in the production infobox, or as links in the article. Not as many people are going to care about, say, Marathon 2 unless they're reading about the main Red vs. Blue article, the plot twist where Church is blown into the past, or Red vs. Blue production. Links to the game will be obvious in all three cases. If you're reading about Griggs, you probably don't care at the moment, and the link is just clutter.
- The Strangerhood links are useful, but since there's only three, all three articles should be heavily linking to each other anyway.
- The maps article: It's a bit low-level detail linked to from various RvB articles.
The idea here is that, instead of putting a huge 10-line template on every article in Category:Rooster Teeth Productions, we can be a bit more selective about what we present as related links. (Yes, we can keep the Tnavbar links, too; these are just proofs of concept.)
By the way, I've tested these on 800-by-600 resolution. They look much better than the current template, which takes up nearly a full screen.
- I'm fine, except for removing the Maps page. Though it's a low level of importance, just that it's the only page directly related to Red vs. Blue doesn't sit right. It's just an opinion, not something I have much back up for. But I might try adding more detail tonight, as well as update Production to be somewhat more accurate and detail some more Specials. -- Viewdrix 17:35, 3 November 2006 (UTC)
- It would be more simple if Red vs. Blue had only one template. The character template isn't really necessary, and is a little redundant since there's a link to the character list on the other template. Maybe something like this--
|Red vs. Blue|
|Production • Characters • Maps
- Or, a less stacked version--
|Red vs. Blue|
|Production • Characters • Maps • Season 1 • 2 • 3 • 4 • 5 Out of Mind • Specials|
- —Cliff smith 05:37, 4 November 2006 (UTC)
- Actually, the point is that the individual characters articles are at a greater level of detail than the average person really needs to know to get the gist of Red vs. Blue. So in the top-level RvB articles, we'll show the general RvB template, but in the individual character articles, it'll be the characters template, which links back up to the main characters article and to the Red vs. Blue article. The assumption is that anyone reading a characters article will want (or need) to go back up to the general characters article or Red vs. Blue first to get more context, or would want to browse to other characters. On the other hand, someone reading about RvB for the first time will probably not want to jump down to the level of detail of an individual character without reading the overall characters article first.
- All right; I guess I'm fine with putting the maps back in for now. But eve4ntually I'm thinking it might be worthwhile to summarize it and stuff it back in the Production article. Not sure we'll have enough verifiable information on some of the more minorr locations.... — TKD::Talk 14:20, 4 November 2006 (UTC)
- I understand the "high-level" template idea better now. Sounds like a great idea. Think that the links to the Red team and Blue team (like on the examples I made) could be incorporated? —Cliff smith 18:11, 4 November 2006 (UTC)
Rename the template?
Given that the template now includes links to articles for a number of non-machinima productions (Achievement Hunter, the podcasts, RWBY, etc.), wouldn't it be more appropriate to change the template name to "Rooster Teeth productions" or "Rooster Teeth filmography"? Just an observation. -- 18.104.22.168 (talk) 04:43, 18 October 2013 (UTC)