Template talk:Screw drives

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
WikiProject Engineering (Rated Template-class)
WikiProject icon This template is within the scope of WikiProject Engineering, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of engineering on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
 Template  This template does not require a rating on the project's quality scale.
WikiProject Technology (Rated Template-class)
WikiProject icon This template is within the scope of WikiProject Technology, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of technology on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
 Template  This template does not require a rating on the project's quality scale.

two versions ??[edit]

although there is a gray area, some fasteners are clearly common (slotted, phillips, etc) and some are not common in everyday life (polydrive, external torx...). It would be good to have somewhere in a table all (not-100%-obsolete) fasteners, but perhaps this information would be best conveyed if there were two tables, one for the most common subset & the other with 'all'. It seems clear to me that this would be a good balance between providing all the information while remaining relevant to the 'average' person...

Mboard182 (talk) 05:31, 15 April 2008 (UTC)

Prison screw[edit]

Prison screws have sort of an enlarged slot, with those sides of the normal slot on which the screwdriver bears, when tightening the screw, being flat and offset by a normal amount, but the corresponding surfaces for loosening missing: instead, the would-be loosening screwdriver encounters a smooth, curved surface, that would require enormous force along the axis of the screwdriver to keep it from being carried away from the "bottom" of the slot as it turns in the loosening direction, so that in practice as straight slotted-style screwdriver rides out of the slot without loosening the screw at all. Should be added, i think.
--Jerzyt 23:35, 2 April 2008 (UTC)

I think the "One-way" entry means these. (But see #Clutch head bit is not one way below.) The slope isn't visible in the image. There should be a greyscale gradient to represent the slope, as this is the salient "feature". (I hate these screws. They were invented to keep people from fixing things and make them buy new ones instead.)
Btw there's a great resource for screw types here, lots of images plus it teaches you to talk as if you knew what you're talking about.-- (talk) 15:47, 4 October 2008 (UTC)
  • The picture now at Screw#One-way only head is indeed what i was referring to. (But that picture is pretty hard to interpret, i think, unless you've seen one!)
    --Jerzyt 04:49, 18 February 2010 (UTC)
I've added a gradient to commons:File:Screw Head - One-way Clutch.svg, which should help clarify. — Wolfgang42 (talk) 23:22, 27 May 2013 (UTC)


PolyDrive is a 6-toothed fastener similar to torx and spine. It should be added --Mboard182

I thought so too. Done. --Farry (talk) 14:45, 12 June 2008 (UTC)

Spline drive[edit]

I can't find any sources defining this type, but it is referenced a lot in tool catalogs and repair manuals. I don't know how it is different than polydrive. It probably should be added.

I added a page for spline drive —Preceding unsigned comment added by Mboard182 (talkcontribs) 05:26, 15 April 2008 (UTC)


This box says that a "slotted" screwdriver is "erroneously" called a flathead, but no other wikipedia page gives any reason why this would be erroneous. No other page explains it either. Can someone explain this, and put some kind of information about why it would be erroneous somewhere so that people can understand?PotatoKnight (talk) 18:07, 14 April 2008 (UTC)

Take a look at the revision history; the issue is that "flathead" in fact (according to the people who were editing the template) refers to screws which do not have rounded heads (so are flat-headed). They repeatedly attempted to add essay-length passages on why referring to the drive as "flathead" is "wrong" in the middle of a navigational template. I chose the current wording as a compromise between length and accuracy. Stannered (talk) 18:59, 14 April 2008 (UTC)
Would it work to change it to simply "commonly, flathead"? I seriously spent about ten minutes looking at the various screw-related wiki pages trying to figure out why that would be erroneous. While I certainly agree that a screed on why it's wrong doesn't belong in a template box, there should be some evidence/information somewhere for an assertion like that. It seems like it would just be easier to point out that there is one name and another common name and leave it at that. —Preceding unsigned comment added by PotatoKnight (talkcontribs) 21:10, 16 April 2008 (UTC)
That was my view also, but when I left it at that, users (or one user) kept returning to re-add the diatribe. The current wording is very much a compromise. I'm not at all sure what can be done *shrugs* Stannered (talk) 21:33, 16 April 2008 (UTC)
I'm going to give it a shot and ask that the anonymous contributer(s) to provide a verifiable citation that this is erroneous and also put some information in one of the pages. I'm not looking to start a truly dumb edit war over this, but it really seems like this is putting one persons opinion onto every page related to screws.PotatoKnight (talk) 02:06, 23 April 2008 (UTC)
I have been changing this by adding "misidentified". I suppose if it is not found in the Wikipedia it's not true. If you do a simple image search on google (see: screwdriver types)you will find a preponderance of evidence that "Flathead" is a lay term at best for "slotted". No trade reference refers to this as "flathead". As a tradesman, I cannot tell you how often I request the following: "a 6-32 flathead phillips screw" I use a lot of them. Perpetuating this issue only makes me question other entries which I have no expertise in. Irritantno9 (talk) 21:31, 8 May 2008 (UTC)

I think that as long as this is a point of contention, the "Flathead" reference should be romoved. I'm new to this. I am only now understnading how contentious this issue is. I don't see any citation that upholds this as a "commonly" referenced naming of this drive type. Please cite credible source rather than your opinion on this matter. Irritantno9 (talk) 21:44, 8 May 2008 (UTC)
I'm actually OK with leaving out the term "flathead" entirely. However, a google image search for "flathead screw" does indeed turn up pictures of screws that are slotted but not flathead in the sense that you are using the word (see for example http://www.uniquetextures.com/01360.htm). A search for "flathead screwdriver" turns up dozens of links that use that term to refer to a screwdriver intended for this kind of screw. I think it's fair to say that people use the term "flathead" to refer to slotted. That doesn't mean that it has to say that in the template, however.PotatoKnight (talk) 00:21, 11 May 2008 (UTC)
Just because a crocodile looks like an alligator, that does not make it OK to misidentify one for a scholarly record. If you think a crocodile and an alligator are functionally equivalent, fine. Just don't write it on wikipedia. . I would suggest reviewing references such as the Engineer's Handbook or Machinery's Handbook instead of www.uniquetextures.com. Use of "head" in the descriptive name expressly refers to the Head type (see: Head type : Cheese, oval, pan, flat, round, fillister, etc). Irritantno9 (talk) 23:10, 13 May 2008 (UTC)

Screw head diagrams[edit]

I have tidied the last few screw head types listed under "other" to conform to the same formatting as the rest of the list. Diagrams (preferably svg) are needed for these in the same style as the rest of the list, I have included only placeholder images in this edit, as i dont have the ability to do this (artistic or otherwise ;) ) StealthFox (talk) 12:59, 14 July 2008 (UTC)

Delightfully comprehensive, but one style is still missing, a three-pointed star recess suggesting a Phillips four-pointed type. I think it's used in some game consoles, and definitely in some/many?/all? Fujifilm digital cameras. It differs from the Tri-wing in that the individual "points" of the star are symmetrical, not differing by direction of implied rotation. A driver, Pro'sKit® with a 3 mm diameter shank is made by Prokit Industries Co., Ltd. of Taiwan, their part no.89400-TRI. (Inconsistent spellings are theirs.) URL is www.prokits.com.tw . They call it a "Tri-Wing", but its tip is "rotationally" symmetrical. Their part no. is 800-123, and the UPC bar code is 6 17293 01065 6. Whether different sizes are made, I don't know. I bought mine at Micro Center a few years ago. User:Nikevich 18 Oct. 2016

Nikevich 19:18, 18 October 2016 (UTC)

In Europe there are many uses of the Phillips-Slot and Thorax-Slot combination Screw Drive Heads. See the German article for an example called "Phillips Combo". Is it used world wide? If so, it could be added as well. ([[1]] and [[2]]) (talk) 13:33, 29 June 2017 (UTC)

Clutch head bit is not one way[edit]

I believe the characterization of the clutch head bit as "one way" is erroneous. One way screws are actually designed to be installed by slot drivers. Clutch bits are an entirely different sort of beast as can be seen here, and here. I believe this misnomer comes from similarity in the shape of the clutch bit and the seeming shape of the indentations in the one-way screws. However, as you'll note here and here, it says that the screws require a slotted bit for insertion. Further, they require a special tool for removal. At no point in this process is a clutch bit used. I believe the "(one way)" should be removed from the clutch bit description and a separate category created for one-way screws. —Preceding unsigned comment added by Walkeraj (talkcontribs) 18:06, 2 September 2008 (UTC)


I believe the Mortorq® spiral drive system (MT) from Phillips Screw Company should be included. The drive is being increasingly used instead of Torq-Set and Tri-Wing for high torque / low weight screws in the aerospace industry. A second version of the Mortorq (MTS) drive, adapted to the higher torque needs of the automobile industry also seems to be growing in popularity. GB richard (talk) 12:15, 17 September 2008 (UTC)


there's another type of tri-wing that should be added. The one pictured is the "triple v" or the tri-wing that is off-set with a triangle in the middle. There is another type, commonly used that is similar but doesn't have the center triangle, and so the arms of it are not off-set like in the one pictured, but rather come together in a central point. Centerone (talk) 04:45, 14 October 2008 (UTC)


Triangular mentioned here: http://www.sizes.com/tools/screw_drive.htm is not on the list. —Preceding unsigned comment added by Varnav (talkcontribs) 13:33, 19 December 2008 (UTC)

That type a screw is very common on toys. Especially on the toys you find in fast food restaurants —Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 20:34, 11 November 2009 (UTC)

Please add this type of screw head to the article. See Screw_types for the missing types in this chart. (talk) 15:02, 10 September 2012 (UTC)
Are you referring to Tri-wing? 78.26 (talk) 19:18, 10 September 2012 (UTC)
Already in template. Or do you mean "TA"? 78.26 (talk) 19:20, 10 September 2012 (UTC)


I don't know the proper name but I have come across star shaped screw on various Sony products. Unlike a torques screw this one has a five pointed star. This should be included if anyone has any more information about it. —Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 20:44, 11 November 2009 (UTC)

found it apparently they're called "Pentagon"

Security Hex (Allen)[edit]

These exist, too, and are fairly common. — Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 17:24, 7 July 2011 (UTC)

 Done You're right. Thanks for the good suggestion. I added it. (Graphic artists will notice that I made the icon in raster, not vector. This is only because I am too impatient right now to study how to use a vector-graphics editor like Inkscape. That's something I'll look forward to doing sometime when I have lots of time and patience available.) — ¾-10 22:22, 7 July 2011 (UTC)

Split slot head in electrical equipment[edit]

Discovered screw

I've come across a screw in a power socket splitter which has a slot which is interrupted in the center. I've added a photograph for clarification. Does anybody know this type of head, so that it can be added to the page? — Preceding unsigned comment added by Nico.rikken (talkcontribs) 12:56, 6 November 2014 (UTC)

took awhile to find it, but i'm pretty sure that's called a "slotted spanner" (or "spanner slotted"). most of what i found had the...middle part...a lot bigger, so that it was closer to a "drilled spanner." it's here (near the bottom of the page) under "Special Screw Styles":
here's a spanner bit, that shows the 'prongs' as definitely flat and not round peg type ("drilled spanner"):
but both these people encountered what you did. the first on a Black and Decker appliance, and the 2nd on a power strip. the 2nd one came up with a hack:
i don't know if it's common enough to include on this page...although, it might be nice when people are desperately searching for it. i also don't know how to attach pics on WP, so can't include the pics from any of these pages.
EDIT: found a bit more. it's also called a "notched spanner."Colbey84 (talk) 01:43, 7 December 2016 (UTC)


tried to add this to the box, but it didn't show up. maybe editing in these boxes requires approval or something. anyway, i noted on the edit why i did it.Colbey84 (talk) 02:24, 7 December 2016 (UTC)

nevermind. it showed up later (yes, i did a refresh on the page earlier).Colbey84 (talk) 07:30, 7 December 2016 (UTC)


Could JIS be added? — Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 08:21, 5 April 2017 (UTC)

Bad links.[edit]

Most of links are misleading. For example "Bristol" should link to:


Instead it links to


and then is redirected to

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives (talk) 02:28, 19 October 2017 (UTC)