|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Solaris template.
I think that OpenSolaris should be moved back onto the second line. As-is, there's a disconnect between what's on the first line and what's on the second. By putting OS down on the second line, it links the random OS distros with the main Solaris ones. Chris Cunningham (not at work) - talk 10:57, 3 October 2008 (UTC)
- Actually, OpenSolaris is more like an opensource project, but I think we need to find out more from NapoliRoma. -- Raysonho (talk) 00:02, 4 October 2008 (UTC)
- Well, since you asked...
- The problem is that there are now two things in the world called "OpenSolaris": the project and the release. This should probably be reflected on WP as two separate articles. Right now, the current article is about the older meaning, the project. Is the project a "Solaris Technology"? I guess it fits more as a technology than as a distribution.
- The as-yet-unwritten second article would go on the "Distribution" line. (All the things on line two are distros derived from the OpenSolaris project, that's why I added that word to line two's label.)
- Does that help at all?--NapoliRoma (talk) 04:41, 4 October 2008 (UTC)
- Agreed; that's why I sounded lukewarm about it above. OpenSolaris is not a component, and the current OpenSolaris article is not about the open source distribution named OpenSolaris. So it belongs on neither of the two current lines on the template.
- One easy fix: wikilink the word "OpenSolaris" on the title of line two. Otherwise, there will need to be some sort of structual change to the template layout if we want to have a link to OpenSolaris.--NapoliRoma (talk) 17:40, 4 October 2008 (UTC)