Temple Bar Gallery and Studios
Gailearaí + Stiúideonna Bharra an Teampaill
|Location||5–9 Temple Bar, Dublin 2, Ireland|
|Type||Art gallery, Art studios|
|Chairperson||Niall M. Kelly|
|Architect||McCullough Mulvin (1991 renovation)|
|Public transit access||Stephen's Green Luas stop (Green Line)|
Wellington Quay bus stop
Temple Bar Gallery + Studios (TBG+S) is located in the centre of Temple Bar, Dublin.
The organisation was founded in 1983 and the original studios and gallery were located in a former shirt factory. The current building is a mid-nineties structure that was built on the same site as part of the Temple Bar Architectural Framework Plan. The building is designed by Irish architects McCullough/Mulvin, who were one of the architectural practices involved in the Group 91 consortium that wrote the plan. The building contains a contemporary visual art gallery and thirty artists studios.
Temple Bar Gallery + Studios is a limited company with charitable status that is artist-led. The voluntary Board is formally elected by the artist membership and comprises four artist members and five external professionals with different expertise and business acumen. Temple Bar Gallery + Studios is a not for profit registered charity and receives its core funding from the Arts Council of Ireland. TBG+ S is part of a residency exchange programme with HIAP International Residency Exchange Programme. The gallery has been chosen to receive funding of an exchange of a student in Finland. In 2008 the Finnish photographer Heli Rekula spent her year here.
In 2013 a sculpture by Irish artist Garrett Phelan consisting of a metal arch bearing the words Our Union Only in Truth was added to the roof of the building. The commission was funded through an online crowd funding campaign.
Selected past exhibitions
- Luke Fowler Pilgrimage from Scattered Points (March 2011)
- Marjetica Potrč Florestania (October 2007)
- Paul Nugent – Vigil (September 2007)
- Group Exhibition Risa Sato, Eoin McHugh, Mark Garry Rapid Eye Movement (Summer 2007)
- Matt Stokes Lost in the Rhythm – (January 2007)
- First Irish solo exhibition and live event Sacred Selections – (February 2007)
- Contemporary Organ recital with Matt Stokes, with organist Paul Ayers– Christchurch Cathedral, Dublin
- Group Exhibition The Square Root of Drawing – (October 2006)
- Lars Arrhenius – If Signs had Souls (July 2006) Elina Brotherus -The New Painting (June 2006)
- Group Exhibition A Moment in Time – (Dec 2005 – Jan 2006) Contemporary Painting at TBG+S.
- Garrett Phelan – Black Brain Radio (January 2006) Mark Clare - Know Thyself (August 2005)
- Ene-Liis Semper Licked Room & FF/REW plus Father & Shifting Focus by Mark Raidpere (March – April 2005)
- "Group '91 Architects Archives – Archiseek – Irish Architecture". Archiseek – Irish Architecture. Retrieved 5 February 2018.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 8 September 2011. Retrieved 13 October 2015.
- "Board members :: Temple Bar Gallery + Studios :: Dublin Ireland". templebargallery.com. Retrieved 13 October 2015.
- Irish/Finnish Artist Exchange Award 2008, Finnish Institute, 2008. Retrieved 14 May 2016
- "Our Union Only in Truth: Garrett Phelan on Dublin's newest landmark". Totally Dublin. Retrieved 14 October 2015.
- "Temple Bar Gallery + Studios – For Impact Learning | Newstream". www.businesstoarts.ie. Retrieved 14 October 2015.
- Gallery says funding cut entitled it to lay off chief – The Irish Times – Wed, Aug 29, 2012
- Summer Lightning strikes thrice – The Irish Times – Fri, Jul 27, 2012
- Former chief executive of gallery claims unfair dismissal – The Irish Times – Tue, Aug 28, 2012