List of Hindu temples in Andhra Pradesh
The following is a list of famous Hindu temples in Andhra Pradesh:
- Venkateswara Temple, Tirumala-Tirupati: Tirupati is the abode for the famous Hindu temple of Lord Venkateswara. It is the richest and the most visited religious place (of any faith) in the world. It records an annual income of about 100 Billion Rupees (2. 5 Billion US Dollars), mostly from offerings by the devotees. Located in Chittoor District
- Vinayaka Temple, Kanipakam: A temple of Lord Swayambu Vinayaka located in Chittoor Dist on the banks of river Bahuda. The temple's specialty is that the deity emerged from a well and continues to grow in size. Sri Varasiddhi Vinayaka as up-holder of 'Truth' The swayambhu idol of Kanipakam is the up-holder of truth. Day to day disputes between people is resolved by taking a 'special oath'. The people in the dispute take a holy dip in the temple tank and swear before the lord. It is taken as gospel truth. Located in Chittor District.
- Palli Kondeswarar Temple, Surutapalli:Shiva as Palli Kondeswarar is seen in reclining posture in the lap of his consort Parvati as Sarva Mangalambika, which is typical of Ranganatha form of the god Vishnu. The temple was built during the late Vijayanagara period and the deity here is termed as Bhoga sayana Siva.This icon of Shiva is unusual; most Shiva temples contain a Lingam, his aniconic symbol, as the central icon. The gods Ganesha, Kartikeya, Surya, Chandra, Indra and sages such as Narada are seen standing around Shiva.
- Muramalla: This holy shrine is the abode of Lord Sri Veereswaraswamy
- Simhachalam:This holy shrine is the abode of Lord Varaha Narasimha, worshipped in the name of "Narasimha". Located in Visakhapatnam District. The temple is a mix of Orissan (main/central shrine) and Dravidian (entrance) styles of architecture.
- Srisailam: Another part of Trilinga Desam and also one of the Jyotirlingams, an Abode of Lord Siva worshipped with the name of Mallikarjuna and Goddess Parvathi, worshipped with the name of Bhramaramba. Srisailam has a unique distinction amongst the Hindu temples of the world; it is the only place to be one of 18 Shaktipithas and one of 12 Jyothirlingas. Huge hydro-electric multi-purpose dam has also been constructed at this place on river Krishna. The sanctum sanctorium is covered with gold. Located in Kurnool District.
- Vijayawada: The City houses Goddess Kanaka Durga (Goddess Durga Malleswara Temple). The sanctum sanctorum is covered with gold. Located in Krishna District.
- Annavaram: The holy shrine is the abode of Lord "Satyadeva" or "Satyanarayana Swamy". Located in East Godavari District.
- Bhadrachalam: Abode for Lord Sri SeetaRamachandra Swamy. Located in Khammam Dist on the banks of river Godavari.
- Arasavalli: This holy shrine is the adobe of sun god, worshipped in the name of "Surya Deva". Sun god temple in Asia where rituals are taking place every day. This is near to Srikakulam town (2 km).
- (Peddanapalli): This is also an holy shrine is the adobe of sun god, worshipped in the name of "Surya Deva". sun god temple in Asia where rituals are taking place every day.This is near to Annavaram (15 km) and Samalakota (12 km). Temple maintained by village members by own Devotational up on god and conducting all puja's in all days.(karri.Rupuliya,karri.babji,kpr )and most of all peoples are in the community.
- Sri Kurmam: The holy place of Kürmakshetra, There is a temple dedicated to Sri Kurmanatha, which is the second avatar of Lord Vishnu, Kurma Avatar (Tortoise). This is the only temple of Kurmanatha in India. There is also a Yoganandha Narasimhan temple in front of Sri Kurmam temple, Srikakulam District.
- Mangalagiri: A temple town between Vijayawada and Guntur. Abode of Lord Narasimha. The unique distinction at this shrine is that, the deity is offered payers in the form of 'Panakam' or Jaggery Water. Located in Guntur District.
- Mantralayam: This town is noted for the holy presence of the Vrindavana of Guru Raghavendra Swami, a Madhwa saint and follower of Sri Madhwacharya. It is believed that Guru Raghavendra Swami is in the Vrindavana from the past 339 years and is believed to be in the Vrindavana for another 361 years. While entering the Vrindavana, Guru Raghavendra Swami stated that he would be there (in the Vrindavana) for 700 years
- Sri Mukhalingam: Sri Mukhalingam is one of the famous Hindu pilgrimage centers in Andhra Pradesh. It was also capital of Eastern Ganga kings of Kalinga (ancient Orissa). The temple was built by Kamarnava II in 8th century AD of the Eastern Ganga dynasty. It is beautiful place located on the banks of River Vamsadhara.
- Ahobilam: Ahobilam or Ahobala is a complex of 9 temples of Lord Narasimha. Located in Kurnool District.
- Mahanandi: A temple town located in Kurnool District. housing Lord Siva, famous for its pushkarini (water pond) in the temple complex where water comes out of Nandi's mouth throughout the year.
- Kotappakonda: Located in Guntur District, is a temple dedicated for lord Shiva. The temple is constructed over hill. Every year lakhs of pilgrims gather here to celebrate Mahashivaratri
- Amaravati: It is famous for its Amareswara temple dedicated to Lord Shiva. The temple is one of the famous Pancharamas. Amaravati, also known as Dhanyakataka/Dharanikota was the site of a great Buddhist Stupa built in pre-Mauryan times. It was also the capital of Satavahanas, the first great Andhra kings who ruled from the 2nd century BCE to the 3rd century CE, after the downfall of Maurya empire. Located in Guntur District.
- Draksharamam: The main deity is known as Lord Bheemeswara (Lord Siva) and is one of the three main temples of Telugus (Trilinga Desam). Located in East Godavari District. One of the Pancharamas.
- Lakshmi Palem (Anantharajapuram) : Located in the district of Kadapa near Badvel, it is famous for the Prasanna Venkateswara swamy temple.
- Samalkota:The Sri Chalukya Kumararama Sri Bhimeswaraswamy vari temple (Kumararama, one of the Pancharama Kshetras) is located about 1 km (0. 6 mi) from the railway station. The presiding deity at this temple is Lord Shiva, known as Kumara Bhimeswara. Maha Sivarathri is the most important festival which is celebrated in this temple. One of the Pancharamas. Located in East Godavari District.
- Palakol: Main tourist attraction of Palakol is the Ksheera Rama Lingeswara Swami Temple with its 36. 6 Mts high Tower (Pedha Gopuram). It was built by the (reddy rajulu) Who ruled this place during 15 th century(A 15th century temple built for the Hindu God Shiva. It is one of the five Pancharamas. Located in West Godavari District.
- Bhimavaram: It is one of the Pancharamas (Somaramam)In the name of Moon god, who first worshipped after performing Shivakshetra, named this place as Somaramam and Lord Shiva as Someswara swamy. Built by Chalukya king Bhima I. Located in West Godavari District.
- Srikakulam: There are two places with the same name in the state. A district and town by the same name on the north east corner of the state as well as a small village on the bank of river Krishna in Krishna district. The village Srikakulam houses the Andhra Maha Vishnu temple. Legend says that this temple was constructed by the great Krishna Deva Raya of the Vijayanagara Kingdom.
- Veerabhadra temple in the temple town of Lepakshi is an example of the Vijayanagar architectural style and art. Located in Anantapur District.
- Kadiri: A temple of Lord Narasimha Swamy built by Vijayanagara Dynasty. Located in Anantapur District.
- Biccavolu: Biccavolu (Birudankinavolu) which contains several important temples of the Eastern Chalukya period as Sri Golingeswara Swamy Temple and Monolithic Ganesh Temple
- Ranganatha Swamy: The temple is the abode of Lord Ranganatha Swamy (Lord Vishnu) located on the banks of river Pennar in Nellore District.
- Jonnawada :It is famous for Sri Mallikarjuna swamy and Kamakshiamma temple constructed in the year 1150. The goddess Kamakshi is believed as an incarnation of Shakti. A 'Sri Chakram' was installed here by Sri Jagadguru Adhi Sankaracharya. It is located on the banks of river Pennar and is 12 km from Nellore. Nearby hill Narasimha Konda is also famous for another deity called Narasimha Swamy.
- Yaganti: This is the holy place of Lord Venkateshwara Swamy, also known for, Veera-bhramendra Swamy's writing of Kalagnanam at this place. There is a Nandi which grows in size every year (According to archaeological dept. the Nandi statue has grown 20 inches more when compared with 20 years back. ) Located in Kurnool Dt.
- Pechalakona: It is the place of Penchala Narasimha Swamy Temple. It is located in Rapur mandal of Nellore District.
- Achanta:Famous Rameswara Swamy Temple is in Achanta,West Godavari District. The Lingam (Lord Shiva-Lingam) in this temple is Swayambhoo Lingam (Self Formed). This is also known as Achannuteswarudu (Aa-Channu-ta-Eeswarrudu) means the linga is in the form of female breast.
- Chennakesawa Swamy: The temple at Markapuram houses Lord Chennakesawa Swamy (Lord Vishnu). The temple is famous for its Rajagopuram. Located in Prakasam District.
- KonetiRayala Swamy Temple Famous for the temple of Lord Venkateshwara in Keelapatla Village,Chittoor Dt.
- Dwarapudi: Located in East Godavari District, This is the holy place of Lord Ayyappa Swamy, well renowned as Andhra sabarimala, Also there is temple of Lord Shiva .
- Garlavoddu. Sri Lakshmi Narasimha Swamy Temple located here.
- Chebrolu Famous for Chaturmukha Brahma Temple . Its ancient name was Sambhole (from which 'Chebrolu' is derived). It became famous during the rule of the Kakatiyas, as a great general Jayapa ruled Chebrolu. Guntur District
- Srikalahasti: Located in Chittoor District, Sri Kalahasti is one of the Pancha-bhoota
- Dwaraka Tirumala: Located in West Godavari District, This is the holy place of Lord Venkateswara.
- Alampuram: located in Mehboob Nagar District, but near to Kurnool town, on the banks of Tungabadra river. Jogulamba temple is 5th Shakthi petam where Sati devi's Upper teeth felt.
- Pitapuram: located in East Godavari District,on national highway 5. The temple PadaGaya, is 10th Shakthi petam where Sati devi's left hand felt. Goddess's name is Puruhutika and God is famous as Lord Kukkuteswara.
- Valmikipuram: Located between Tirupati and Madanapalle Lord Pattabhi rama swamy temple is located. It is unique in India that there is viakunta dwara darshanam every day, as Lord faces north. Near Valmikipuram Railway Station from particular place we can see that valmiki maharshi is meditating on hillock.
- Ryali: Located near Ravulapalem on national high way 5,there is Jagan mohini temple. It is swambhu idol of lord Krishna from front view and Jagan mohini from rear view. Temple miracle is that there is continuous flow of water from the foot of Lord.
- Devuni Kadapa: Located in the city of Kadapa, it is famous for the Lakshmi Venkateswara temple. The pilgrims of the olden days had to go through this temple in order to reach Tirumala
- Sri Lakshmi Narasimha Swamy Temple, Antarvedi is situated in temple town named Antarvedi of Sakhinetipalle Mandal, located in the East Godavari district of the Andhra Pradesh state in India. The temple is situated at the place where the Bay of Bengal and Vashista Godavari, a tributary of the Godavari River.
Pushkarini at Simhachalam
The Yaganti Nandi Statue is believed to be growing in size
Lord narasimha Stone carved statue at backyard of Simhachalam temple
Brahma Temple at Chebrole
Antarvedi temple on the banks of Godavari
- "NDTV Report". Retrieved 2007-09-13.