|Founder||Eric Lefkofsky (CEO)|
Tempus is a technology company focused on collecting and analyzing large volumes of molecular and clinical data. In the interest of furthering precision medicine, Tempus built a series of data pipelines to collect, cleanse, and analyze data, at scale. Tempus was co-founded by Eric Lefkofsky and Brad Keywell in Chicago, Illinois in 2015. Lefkofsky has cited the experience of a loved one being treated for cancer as the impetus for starting the company.
Tempus has announced collaborations with hospitals such as Cleveland Clinic, Duke University School of Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Northwestern’s Lurie Cancer Center, Penn’s Abramson Cancer Center, University of Chicago Medicine, University of Michigan and community hospitals across the country.
On September 25, 2017 Tempus announced that it had raised $130M to date after closing a $70M, Series C, round of venture funding co-led by New Enterprise Associates (NEA), a firm started by Frank Bonsal, Dick Kramlich, and Chuck Newhall, and Revolution Growth, a firm started by Steve Case, Donn Davis and Ted Leonsis. Tempus has been valued at $700 million.
- Preston, J. (2017, July 07). Why Groupon's cofounder is diving head first into healthcare. Retrieved September 27, 2017, from https://medcitynews.com/2017/07/why-groupons-cofounder-diving-into-healthcare/
- Dallke, J. (2017, June 26). Eric Lefkofsky’s Self-Funded Mission to Cure Cancer Through Data. Retrieved September 26, 2017, from https://www.americaninno.com/chicago/eric-lefkofskys-self-funded-mission-to-cure-cancer-through-data
- Pletz, J. (2016, October 01). Can Eric Lefkofsky save your life? Retrieved September 26, 2017, from http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20161001/ISSUE01/310019995/can-eric-lefkofsky-save-your-life
- (2017, September 14). Tempus Partners With Cleveland Clinic on Precision Cancer Rx Study. Retrieved September 27, 2017, from https://www.genomeweb.com/informatics/tempus-partners-cleveland-clinic-precision-cancer-rx-study
- Tempus Teams with Major Academic Medical Center to Advance Treatment Options for Patients Diagnosed with Aggressive Brain Cancer. (2017, March 02). Retrieved September 27, 2017, from https://finance.yahoo.com/news/tempus-teams-major-academic-medical-140000956.html
- Graham, M. (2017, January 04). Groupon co-founder's cancer-fighting startup Tempus partners with Mayo Clinic. Retrieved September 26, 2017, from http://www.chicagotribune.com/bluesky/originals/ct-lefkofsky-tempus-mayo-clinic-bsi-20170104-story.html
- Pletz, J. (2016, September 29). Lefkofsky startup takes on cancer. Retrieved September 27, 2017, from http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20160929/BLOGS11/160929779/lefkofsky-startup-takes-on-cancer
- Penn Medicine’s Abramson Cancer Center Launches Initiative to Improve & Personalize BRCA Mutations. (2017, April 28). Retrieved September 27, 2017, from http://hitconsultant.net/2017/04/28/penn-medicines-abramson-cancer-center-initiative/
- (2017, June 22). Tempus, University of Chicago Medicine Partner on Pancreatic Cancer Study. Retrieved September 27, 2017, from https://www.genomeweb.com/informatics/tempus-university-chicago-medicine-partner-pancreatic-cancer-study
- Cohen, J. K. (2017, June 13). University of Michigan to use AI, bioinformatics for personalized breast cancer care. Retrieved September 27, 2017, from https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/healthcare-information-technology/university-of-michigan-to-use-ai-bioinformatics-for-personalized-breast-cancer-care.html
- Tindera, M. (2017, September 25). Groupon Cofounder's New Healthcare Startup Raises $70 Million In Latest Funding Round. Retrieved September 26, 2017, from https://www.forbes.com/sites/michelatindera/2017/09/25/groupon-cofounders-new-healthcare-startup-raises-70-million-in-latest-funding-round/#383c24433126