Tenchu: Dark Secret
|Tenchu: Dark Secret|
Tenchu: Dark Secret (Tenchu: Dark Shadow in Japan) is an action-adventure stealth video game developed by Polygon Magic and published by From Software in Japan and Nintendo worldwide for the Nintendo DS in 2006. It is also the first game in the Tenchu series to be released for the Nintendo system and not to have a Mature rating from the ESRB.
The game allows players to choose between Rikimaru and Ayame, two ninja assassins sent out to save a princess. There are more than 40 missions, as well as local wireless multiplayer combat and Wi-Fi capabilities which can be used to trade, buy and sell items around the world.
Tenchu was developed by Polygon Magic—their first Nintendo DS game—and published by From Software and Nintendo. It was first released in Japan on April 6, 2006, and later that year in North America (August 21) and the United Kingdom (November 24). Tenchu was released exclusively for video game retailers EBGames and GameStop in North America.
Tenchu: Dark Secret received "unfavorable" reviews according to video game review aggregator Metacritic. In Japan, Famitsu gave it a score of one eight and three sevens, for a total of 29 out of 40.
Craig Harris of IGN wrote that the game's exclusivity to specific retailers was a mark of a specialty product. He said the game's quality was much lower than expected for a game published by Nintendo. Harris added that the game did not use its 3D environments and that a port of the original Tenchu game for PlayStation would have fared much better. He found the music repetitive and unfitting, the gameplay "stiff", and the graphics and story poor.
- Business & Works - PolgonMagic.com
- Harris, Craig (August 28, 2006). "Tenchu: Dark Secret Review". IGN. Retrieved December 18, 2013.
- "Tenchu: Dark Secret for DS Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved August 11, 2013.
- Gantayat, Anoop (April 10, 2006). "Now Playing in Japan". IGN. Retrieved January 16, 2016.
- Kasavin, Greg (August 25, 2006). "Tenchu: Dark Secret Review". GameSpot. Retrieved December 18, 2013.
- Trueman, Douglas (August 30, 2006). "Tenchu: Dark Secret". GamesRadar. Retrieved December 18, 2013.
- Blundon, Matthew (April 22, 2009). "Tenchu: Dark Secret (DS) Review". Nintendo Life. Archived from the original on April 25, 2009. Retrieved December 18, 2013.
- "Tenchu: Dark Secret". Nintendo Power. 208: 91. October 2006.
- "DS Review: Tenchu: Dark Secret". Official Nintendo Magazine: 72. January 2007.