Jump to navigation Jump to search
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Single by General Public|
|from the album All the Rage|
|Songwriter(s)||Mickey Billingham, Ranking Roger, Dave Wakeling|
|General Public singles chronology|
The song's lyrics tell about a man who really needs tenderness to feel like a man. It was one of the band's first singles. The single cover of the extended versions has a sentence reading "words like conviction can turn into a sentence".
In popular culture
- It was used towards the end of the films Weird Science and Clueless, and is featured on the former's soundtrack and during class in Sixteen Candles (1984). It also appears in the horror film Devil's Due.
- The band Galactic recorded a cover of the song for their 2003 album Ruckus.
- American mixed martial artist and former UFC fighter Dave Kaplan used the song as his entrance theme at TUF 8 Finale in 2008.
- It was also used in the 2011 film Just Go with It, in the movie and in the trailer as a mash-up along with "Umbrella" by Rihanna (which was also heard in the movie).
- A part of the instrumental was used in commercials for the Target retail chain store in 2010–2011.
|Australia (Kent Music Report)||50|
|Canadian Singles Chart||11|
|UK Singles Chart||95|
|US Billboard Hot 100||27|
|US Billboard Top Rock Tracks||39|
- "Oberhofer Talks Totally Tubular Covers of Cars, Cyndi Lauper, Wang Chung for 'Table 19' Soundtrack"."...a mixtape of classic 1980s new wave tunes from Cyndi Lauper, A Flock of Seagulls, General Public and Modern English"
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992. St Ives, NSW: Australian Chart Book. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
|This 1980s pop song-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This 1980s rock song-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|