Teniente R. Marsh Airport
Teniente Rodolfo Marsh Martin Airport
Villa Las Estrellas Airport
A DAP Airway's plane in the airport.
|Serves||Villa Las Estrellas and Base Presidente Eduardo Frei Montalva, Chile|
|Elevation AMSL||147 ft / 45 m|
The Teniente Rodolfo Marsh Martin Airport (IATA: TNM, ICAO: SCRM) is on King George Island, part of Chile's Antártica commune in Antarctica, and is the northernmost airport in the continent. The airport serves the nearby village of Villa Las Estrellas and the Base Presidente Eduardo Frei Montalva.
The airport has five small buildings (hangar, control tower) and a small apron area for parking aircraft.
The Isla Rey Jorge non-directional beacon (Ident: IRJ) is located 0.46 nautical miles (0.9 km) off the approach threshold of Runway 30. The Isla Rey Jorge VOR-DME (Ident: IRJ) is located on the field.
The airport uses the GMT -4:00 timezone.
It is the only airport in Antarctica that has an IATA code. This is because it is served by various public flights, usually as part of a fly/cruise. There is no regular scheduled public service to the airport, although Aerovías DAP has some charter flights from Punta Arenas.
The airport is named in memory of Lieutenant Rodolfo Marsh, who in the 1930's helped pioneer air routes to the Magallanes Region of Chile, mainly using Sikorsky S43 flying boats. He was killed when his plane, the S43 "Chiloé", crashed on June 2nd 1937 flying from Puerto Montt to Punta Arenas. The crash occurred during bad weather killing all four crew and five passengers.
Accidents and incidents
- February 25, 1992 – Ejército de Chile (Chile) CASA 235M-100 with 11 on board crashed at the airport. No deaths or injuries were reported. The aircraft was written off.
- Airport information for Ten. Rodolfo Marsh Martin Airport at Great Circle Mapper.
- Airport record for Aeropuerto de Teniente Rodolfo Marsh Martin at Landings.com
- Google Maps - Ten. Rodolfo Marsh Martin
- Isla Rey Jorge VOR, NDB
- IRJ VOR
- "CATASTROFES Y TRAGEDIAS DE CHILE" (in Spanish). Retrieved 2019-06-15.
- OpenStreetMap - Ten. Rodolfo Marsh Airport
- OurAirports - Ten. Rodolfo Marsh Martin Airport
- SkyVector - Ten. Rodolfo Marsh Airport
- Simtours - Anatarctica
- Accident history for Ten. Rodolfo Marsh Martin Airport at Aviation Safety Network
- Airport information for Ten. Rodolfo Marsh Martin Airport at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.
- Current weather for Ten. Rodolfo Marsh Airport at NOAA/NWS
|This Chile-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an airport in Chile is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This King George Island (South Shetland Islands) location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|