Tennessee State Route 1
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Memphis to Bristol Highway|
|Maintained by TDOT|
|Length:||538.8 mi (867.1 km)|
|Existed:||1915  – present|
|West end:||I-55 / US 61 / US 64 / US 70 / US 79 at the Arkansas state line at Memphis|
| I-40 east of Brownsville
I-40 / US 412 northeast of Jackson
I-40 southwest of Belle Meade
I-440 in Nashville
I-840 northwest of Murfreesboro
I-140 in Knoxville
I-40 in Knoxville
I-26 / US 23 in Kingsport
I-81 in Bristol
|East end:||US 11E / US 19 / SR 34 in Bristol|
|Counties:||Shelby, Fayette, Tipton, Haywood, Madison, Carroll, Benton, Humphreys, Dickson, Cheatham, Davidson, Rutherford, Cannon, Warren, Van Buren, White, Cumberland, Roane, Loudon, Knox, Grainger, Hawkins, Sullivan|
State Route 1 (SR-1), known as the Memphis to Bristol Highway, is a 538.8-mile-long (867.1 km) mostly-unsigned state highway in the U.S. state of Tennessee. It stretches all the way from the Arkansas state line at Memphis in the southwest corner of the state to Bristol in the northeast part. Most of the route travels concurrently with U.S. Route 70 (US-70) and US-11W.
In 2015, the Tennessee Department of Transportation erected signs along SR-1 showing motorists they are traveling on the Memphis to Bristol Highway, Tennessee's first state road. TDOT installed the signs at every county line while it celebrated its 100th anniversary.
- 1 Route description
- 2 State Designations
- 3 List of signed segments
- 4 Counties traversed (west to east)
- 5 Major intersections
- 6 See also
- 7 References
- 8 External links
SR-1 begins on Interstate 55 (I-55) in the middle of the Memphis & Arkansas Bridge at the Arkansas–Tennessee state line. US-61, US-64, US-70, and US-79 come off the bridge alongside SR-1; US-61 soon turns south with SR-14. The other three U.S. Highways split east onto SR-3, and US-51 joins, only to split with SR-4 where SR-1 turns east alone onto North Parkway. However, US-64/US-70/US-79 soon rejoin SR-1 at SR-57. These 4 routes continue as Summer Avenue until exiting Memphis. The portions where SR-1 runs by itself are signed.
Between Memphis and Nashville
After leaving Memphis, SR-1 runs along the following routes:
- US-64, Memphis to SR-15 in Bartlett
- US-79, Memphis to SR-76 in Brownsville
- US-70, Memphis to SR-22 Bypass in Huntingdon
- US-70 Business through Huntingdon
- US-70/SR-364 in Huntingdon to SR-24 west of Belle Meade
SR-1 enters Nashville from the west along US-70S through the community of Bellevue. Between Old Hickory Pike and White Bridge Road east of Belle Meade, the highway is known as Harding Pike. Between here and Downtown Nashville, SR-1 is known as West End Avenue. In downtown, SR-1 is known as Broadway. As SR-1 approaches 8th Avenue South/Rosa Parks, it turns right and southeast, joining US-41 and becoming known as Lafayette Avenue (briefly) and then Murfreesboro Road.
Between Nashville and Knoxville
East of Nashville, SR-1 runs along the following routes:
- US-70S through Belle Meade and Nashville to SR-111 in Sparta
- Separate through Sparta - the only signed portion
- US-70/SR-26 in Sparta to SR-168 in Knoxville
SR-1 enters Knox County along with US-70 and US-11 (which joins SR-1 a few feet from the county line). From here to near the downtown area, the road is locally known as Kingston Pike and near the University of Tennessee campus it is known as Cumberland Avenue. It turns north onto Henley Street becoming Broadway Street, east onto Magnolia Avenue, north onto Hall of Fame Drive, and back onto Magnolia Avenue. In East Knoxville, SR-1 splits from US-70 and continues northeast with US-11W as Rutledge Pike.
Between Knoxville and Bristol
Between Knoxville and Bristol, SR-1 runs along US-11W.
In Bristol, SR-1 leaves US-11W right at the state line, and heads east on its own (as a primary route) along State Street. It turns south at US-11E/US-19, ending two blocks later at Broad Street (SR-34).
State Route 1 runs as a primary or secondary highway as follows:
- Primary, Memphis to SR-76 in Brownsville
- Secondary, SR-76 to SR-186 (US-45 Bypass) in Jackson
- Primary, SR-186 to SR-22 Bypass in Huntingdon
- Secondary, SR-22 Bypass to SR-364 in Huntingdon
- Primary, SR-364 to I-40 west of Belle Meade
- Secondary, I-40 to SR-100 in Belle Meade
- Primary, SR-100 to I-440 in Nashville
- Secondary, I-440 to I-24 in Nashville
- Primary, I-24 to SR-111 in Sparta
- Secondary, SR-111 to SR-26 in Sparta
- Primary, SR-26 to SR-24 in Crossville
- Secondary, SR-24 to SR-29 south of Rockwood
- Primary, SR-29 to SR-61 in Rockwood
- Secondary, SR-61 to I-40 in Knoxville
- Primary, I-40 to Bristol
List of signed segments
- US 61, US 64, US 70 and US 79 to US 51, US 64, US 70 and US 79 in Memphis
- SR 14 and US 51 to US 64, US 70, US 79 and SR 57 in Memphis
- US 70S and SR 111 to US 70 and SR 26 in Sparta
Counties traversed (west to east)
State Route 1 traverses the counties shown in the table below.
||This section is missing a table that represents a list of exits or junctions.
Please help by
- Tennessee Department of Transportation (24 January 2003). "State Highway and Interstate List 2003".
- Media related to Tennessee State Route 1 at Wikimedia Commons