Tenth Avenue North
|Tenth Avenue North|
Mike Donehey performing live
|Origin||West Palm Beach, Florida|
|Genres||CCM, Christian rock, pop rock, power pop, acoustic rock, indie rock|
Tenth Avenue North (stylized as tenth avenue north) is an American contemporary Christian music (CCM) band from West Palm Beach, Florida that takes its name from an east-west road in Palm Beach County. The group was formed while members attended Palm Beach Atlantic University. It features Mike Donehey on vocals and acoustic guitar, Jeff Owen on electric guitar and backup vocals, Ruben Juarez III on bass guitar and backup vocals, Jason Jamison on drums and Brendon Shirley on keyboard. The band has released four studio albums.
Tenth Avenue North released three independent albums and an EP before its major label debut. Its debut album, Over and Underneath, was released on May 20, 2008, on Reunion Records, and the band began a tour in promotion of the album near that time. The song "Love Is Here" hit the Top 20 on the U.S. Contemporary Christian Music chart, and reached No. 3 by June 21, 2008. It spent 13 weeks on Billboard's Christian Songs chart, peaking at No. 3. and ended 2008 as the 12th most-played song on Christian Hit Radio according to R&R magazine's Christian CHR chart for the year.
The band's next single, "By Your Side", was released in late August 2008 and eventually reached No. 1 on Christian CHR radio in 2009; according to R&R's chart, it had been in that position for three weeks by February 13, 2009. It spent 48 weeks on the Billboard Christian Songs chart, peaking at No. 2. It also won the GMA Dove Award for Song of the Year at the 41st award ceremony in April 2010. "Hold My Heart" was released as a single in 2009 and spent 44 weeks on the Christian Songs chart, peaking at No. 4.
"Healing Begins" the first single from their next album, was released on March 2, 2010, and spent 29 weeks on the Billboard Christian Songs chart. The Light Meets The Dark, the complete album, came out on May 11, 2010. The band performed at First Baptist Church of West Palm Beach on May 14, 2010 to promote the new album.
The band has toured with David Crowder Band, Casting Crowns and MercyMe and headlines their own concerts throughout the United States. They also won the "New Artist of the Year" award at the 40th GMA Dove Awards in April 2009.
On March 1, 2011, the band released "Tenth Avenue North Live: Inside and In Between - The Shows, The Songs, The Story" a live album featuring video footage of concerts, video journals about the message behind the music, and live recordings of six of the band's biggest hits.
On December 14, 2012, the band released an iTunes session, which includes a cover of Ben E King's song, "Stand By Me" and some of the band's singles.
In July 2014, the band released the Islands EP.
On November 10, 2014, the band released their fourth studio album, Cathedrals. The album debuted at No. 1 Billboard Christian Music chart and No. 32 on the Billboard 200 chart.
|This section does not cite any references (sources). (November 2014)|
- Mike Donehey – lead vocals, guitar (2000–present)
- Jeff Owen – guitar, background vocals (2005–present)
- Jason Jamison – drums/bongos (2000–present)
- Ruben Juarez III - bass guitar, keyboards, backing vocals (2009–present)
- Brendon Shirley - keyboards (2010–present)
- Bryan Homan – bass guitar, background vocals (2000–2005)
- Andrew Middleton – electric guitar, acoustic guitar, lead vocals (2002–2006)
- Donnie Richards - hand percussion, cowbell (2002–2003)
- Daniel Zayas – electric guitar, keyboards, background vocals (2003–2006)
- Scott Sanders - bass, keyboards, background vocals (2006–2009)
- Over and Underneath (2008)
- The Light Meets the Dark (2010)
- The Struggle (2012)
- Cathedrals (2014)
|"Higher"||2012||Lecrae||Gravity (iTunes edition)|
|2009||New Artist of the Year||Won|
|2010||Song of the Year ("By Your Side")||Won|
|Group of the Year||Nominated|
|2011||Song of the Year ("Hold My Heart")||Nominated|
|Group of the Year||Nominated|
|Pop/Contemporary Album of the Year (The Light Meets the Dark)||Nominated|
|2012||Short Form Music Video of the Year ("You Are More")||Won|
- Tenth Avenue North's Debut Single Love Is Here Breaks...; CCM magazine; March 13, 2008; Retrieved April 5, 2008
- "Tenth Avenue North, "The Struggle" Review". Jesusfreakhideout.com. August 21, 2012. Retrieved September 9, 2012.
- Contemporary Christian Music Chart for R&R magazine as reported at the Weekend 22; June 21, 2008; Retrieved June 22, 2008
- "Love Is Here Billboard
- 2008 Year End Charts/Top Christian CHR songs, R&R magazine, Retrieved January 15, 2009
- "Christian CHR National Airplay". R&R. February 13, 2009. Retrieved February 16, 2009.
- "By Your Side - Tenth Avenue North". Billboard.com. Retrieved December 23, 2011.
- Black, Nathan (April 22, 2010). "Casting Crowns, Jason Ingram Big Winners at 41st Dove Awards". The Christian Post. Retrieved April 30, 2010.
- Hold My Heart - Tenth Avenue North Billboard
- "Vol 7, Part 2: New Song 'Healing Begins' Available!". March 2, 2010. Retrieved March 2, 2010.
- "2009 Winners". Doveawards.com. Retrieved April 24, 2009.[dead link]
- "Live: Inside And In Between - CD/DVD". Indie Vision Music. October 27, 2009. Retrieved October 26, 2013.
- "Christian act connects with faithful fans on latest album.". billboard.com. Retrieved September 8, 2013.
- "Tenth Avenue North - iTunes Sessions". October 27, 2009. Retrieved October 26, 2013.
- "Tenth Avenue North Debuts At #1 on Billboard and iTunes Christian Charts". November 20, 2014. Retrieved November 23, 2014.
- "Tenth Avenue North Partners with Compassion International". One Cubed. Retrieved 25 September 2011.
- "About Us". Compassion. Retrieved September 25, 2011.
- Hawk Nelson – Made