Garvin with the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2015
|No. 52 Washington Redskins|
|Date of birth:||January 1, 1991|
|Place of birth:||Baltimore, Maryland|
|Height:||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Weight:||235 lb (107 kg)|
|High school:||Towson (MD) Loyola Blakefield|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 17, 2015|
Terence Garvin (born January 1, 1991) is an American football inside linebacker and special teamer for the Washington Redskins of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football for West Virginia, and was signed by the Pittsburgh Steelers as an undrafted free agent in 2013.
As a freshman at West Virginia in 2009, Garvin played in 10 games and finished with 10 tackles for the season. In 2010, Garvin started all 13 games and finished with 76 tackles. He started 11 games in 2011, but had knee surgery in December 2011. He played in 47 career games at West Virginia, registering 235 tackles, 10.5 sacks and three forced fumbles. He also intercepted three passes, returning one for a touchdown, to go along with 11 passes defensed.
After going undrafted in the 2013 NFL Draft, Garvin wasn’t immediately signed as a free agent. He was invited to attend Pittsburgh Steelers rookie minicamp on a tryout basis and was signed to the 90-man roster on May 6. He was waived on August 31 and then re-signed to the team’s practice squad. On September 3, 2013, Garvin was signed to the active roster. He saw action against the Cincinnati Bengals in week 15 and gained notoriety when he broke the jaw of Bengals punter Kevin Huber with a hard hit during a runback for touchdown by Antonio Brown. The block was not penalized at the time, but was later ruled illegal by the NFL and cost him a $25,000 fine.
On May 10, 2012, Garvin along with WVU teammate, Darwin Cook, were arrested for misdemeanor theft charges at a convenience store that occurred on April 12, 2012.
- "West Virginia loses starting safety Terence Garvin to knee injury for Orange Bowl". OrangeAndWhite.com. Scripps Interactive Newspapers Group. December 22, 2011. Retrieved 2013-12-17.
- "Steelers Sign Whimper and Garvin". Pittsburgh Steelers. May 6, 2013. Retrieved 2013-12-17.
- Bob Labriola (Sep 3, 2013). "Spaeth to IR-designated to return list". Pittsburgh Steelers. Retrieved 2013-12-17.
- Hanzus, Dan (December 16, 2013). "Was block that broke Kevin Huber's jaw illegal?". NFL.com. Retrieved March 17, 2016.
- Josh Katzowitz (December 17, 2013). "NFL says Terence Garvin's block on Kevin Huber was illegal". CBS Sports. Retrieved 2013-12-17.
- Chris Wesseling (Dec 18, 2013). "Steelers' Terence Garvin fined $25K for Kevin Huber hit". NFL.com. Retrieved 2013-12-20.
- Alper, Josh (March 17, 2016). "Terence Garvin says he's signed with Redskins". NBCSports.com. Retrieved March 17, 2016.
- Ubben, David (May 10, 2012). "Darwin Cook, Terence Garvin charged". ESPN.com. Retrieved March 17, 2016.