Terence Hamilton-Temple-Blackwood, 2nd Marquess of Dufferin and Ava
|This article does not cite any sources. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Terence John Temple Hamilton-Temple-Blackwood, 2nd Marquess of Dufferin and Ava DL JP (16 March 1866–7 February 1918), styled Lord Terence Blackwood between 1888 and 1900 and Earl of Ava between 1900 and 1902, was a British diplomat.
Lord Dufferin was the second son of Frederick Hamilton-Temple-Blackwood, 1st Marquess of Dufferin and Ava. As a younger son, he was not expected to inherit the title, but on the death of his brother Archibald, Earl of Ava at the Siege of Ladysmith in the Second Boer War on 11 January 1900, he became the heir and assumed the courtesy title Earl of Ava himself before succeeding his father in 1902.
- Lady Doris Gwendoline Hamilton-Temple-Blackwood (14 December 1895 – 1984), who married Captain Cecil Bernard Gunston MC (1885–1934) of the Coldstream Guards, son of Major Bernard Gunston, formerly of the 5th Dragoon Guards, on 19 October 1922 and had issue:
- Hermione Hamilton Gunston (b. 1923), who married Lt. Col. Sir Walter Luttrell MC.
- Sonia Helen Gunston JP (b. 1926), appointed Temporary Lady of the Bedchamber to Queen Elizabeth II in 1967, and who married Thomas Fairfax, 13th Lord Fairfax of Cameron (d.1964) and had issue including Nicholas Fairfax, 14th Lord Fairfax of Cameron (b. 1956).
- Lady Ursula Florence Hamilton-Temple-Blackwood (9 February 1899-?), who married Arthur Swithin Newton Horne, formerly of The King's Own Royal Border Regiment and Government Secretary of the Federated Malay States (d. 1954)
- Lady Patricia Ethel Hamilton-Temple-Blackwood (20 March 1902-?), who married Henry Russell (d. 1937)
Lord Dufferin died from pneumonia on 7 February 1918 and was buried at the Dufferin ancestral seat of Clandeboye, County Down. The marquessate passed to his youngest brother, Lord Frederick Blackwood. Two years after his death his widow married again, to Richard George Penn Curzon, 4th Earl Howe, and died on 14 April 1925.
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
|Marquess of Dufferin and Ava