29 March 1939
Venice, Veneto, Italy
|Spouse(s)||Lori Hill (1967–present; two children)|
Hill is an Italian actor who began as a child actor and went on to multiple starring roles in action and other Italian films, many with longtime film partner and friend Bud Spencer. During the height of his popularity Hill was among Italy's highest-paid actors, Hill's most widely seen films include comic and standard Westerns all´Italiana ("Italian style Westerns", colloquially, "spaghetti westerns"), some based on popular novels by German author Karl May about the American West.
Of these, the most famous are Lo chiamavano Trinità (They Call Me Trinity, 1971) and Il mio nome è Nessuno (My Name Is Nobody, 1973), co-starring Henry Fonda. His film Django, Prepare a Coffin, shot in 1968 by director Ferdinando Baldi, and co-starring Horst Frank and George Eastman, was featured at the 64th Venice Film Festival in 2007.
Hill, whose stage name was the product of a publicity stunt by film producers, also went on to a successful television career in Italy, including the long-running lead and title role of Don Matteo (2000-), about an inspirational parish priest who assists the Carabinieri in solving crimes local to his community, a role for which Hill received an international "Outstanding Actor of the Year" award at the Festival de Télévision de Monte-Carlo 42e (42nd Monte Carlo Television Festival).
Early life and career
Hill was born on 29 March 1939 in Venice, Italy. Hill's mother, Hildegard Girotti (née Thieme), was a German, from Dresden; his father, Girolamo Girotti, was Italian, and a chemist by occupation.
He was discovered by Italian filmmaker Dino Risi at a swimming meet at the age of 12, and became a child actor, appearing in Vacanze col Gangster (Holiday with the Gangster, 1951). His early roles also included Gli sbandati (The Abandoned, 1955).
Career as an adult
At one time among Italy's highest-paid actors,[when?] Hill's most widely seen films include comic and standard Westerns all´ Italiana ("Italian style Westerns," also known as "Spaghetti Westerns"), some based on popular novels by German author Karl May about the American West.
In 1967, he returned to Italy to act in God Forgives... I Don't!. His film Django, Prepare a Coffin was also shot in 1968, by director Ferdinando Baldi; it co-starred Horst Frank and George Eastman (and would be featured, much later, at the 64th Venice Film Festival, in 2007).
Hill changed his name from Mario Girotti to Terence Hill the same year, a name made up as a publicity stunt by the film producers; he had to choose from a list of twenty names and picked the one with his mother's initials. In a question and answer session, he dismissed as a journalist's invention the rumor that it might have been taken from the Roman playwright Terence and his wife's surname.[self-published source?] (His wife's maiden name was Zwicklbauer.)
In the following years, he starred in many action and Spaghetti Westerns, together with longtime colleague and friend Bud Spencer. The pair made a large number of Italian Westerns and other films together, and were notable for their comedy films, successful not only in Italy, but also abroad. Many of these have alternate titles, depending upon the country and distributor. Possibly their most famous film is the 1971 western They Call Me Trinity and the 1972 sequel Trinity Is Still My Name. Hill has stated in interviews that My Name Is Nobody (1973), in which he co-starred with Henry Fonda, is his personal favorite of all his films.
Hill later went on to a television career in Italy; in 2000, he landed the leading role in the Italian television series Don Matteo, about a parish priest who assists the Carabinieri in solving crimes in his local community. This role earned Hill an international "Outstanding Actor of the Year" award at the 42nd Monte Carlo Television Festival, alongside ones for the series, and for producer Alessandro Jacchia at that festival.
In the summer of 2010, Hill filmed another Italian television series for the Italian state television channel Rai Uno, this time entitled Un passo dal cielo (One Step from Heaven), playing a local chief of the foresters in the region of Alto Adige, with a second season filmed in 2012.
Hill was married to Lori Hill née Zwicklbauer.[clarification needed] He has two sons, Jess (born 1969) and Ross (1973-1990). Ross was killed in a car accident in Stockbridge, Massachusetts in winter of 1990, while the actor was preparing to film Lucky Luke (1991) on the Bonanza Creek Ranch near Santa Fe, New Mexico.
- Vacation with a Gangster (1951)
- Un Amore per te (1952)
- La voce del silenzio (Voice of Silence, 1953)
- Villa Borghese (It Happened in the Park, 1953)
- Divisione Folgore (Folgore Division, 1954)
- Gli sbandati (Abandoned, 1955)
- La vena d'oro (1955)
- I vagabondi delle stelle (1956)
- Mamma sconosciuta (1956)
- Lazzarella (1957)
- Guaglione (1957)
- La grande strada azzurra (The Wide Blue Road, 1957)
- La spada e la croce (The Sword and the Cross, 1958)
- Il Novelliere: Il ritratto di Dorian Gray (1958, TV)
- Anna di Brooklyn (Anna of Brooklyn, 1958)
- Cerasella (1959)
- Spavaldi e innamorati (1959)
- Il padrone delle ferriere (1959)
- Primo Amore (1959)
- Giuseppe venduto dai fratelli (The Story of Joseph and His Brethren, 1960)
- Un militare e mezzo (1960)
- Cartagine in fiamme (Carthage in Flames, 1960)
- Annibale (Hannibal, 1960)
- Juke box urli d'amore (1960)
- Pecado de amor
- Le meraviglie di Aladino (The Wonders of Aladdin, 1961)
- Il Giorno più corto (The Shortest Day, 1962)
- Il Dominatore dei sette mari (Seven Seas to Calais, 1962)
- Il Gattopardo (The Leopard, 1963)
- Winnetou - 2. Teil (Last of the Renegades, 1964)
- Unter Geiern (Among Vultures, 1964)
- Duell vor Sonnenuntergang (Duel at Sundown, 1965)
- Schüsse im Dreivierteltakt (Shots in Threequarter Time, 1965)
- Der Ölprinz (1965)
- Ruf der Wälder (1965)
- Old Surehand (Flaming Frontier, 1965)
- Die Nibelungen, Teil 1: Siegfried (1966)
- Little Rita nel West (Rita of the West, 1967)
- La Feldmarescialla (The Crazy Kids of the War, 1967)
- Io non protesto, io amo (1967)
- Die Nibelungen, Teil 2: Kriemhilds Rache (1967)
- Dio perdona... io no! (God Forgives... I Don't!, 1967)
- Preparati la bara! (Django, Prepare the Coffin, 1968)
- I quattro dell'Ave Maria (Ace High, 1968)
- Barbagia (The Tough and the Mighty, 1969)
- La collina degli stivali (Boot Hill, 1969)
- The Wind's Fierce (1970)
- Lo chiamavano Trinità... (They Call Me Trinity, 1970)
- Il corsaro nero (Blackie the Pirate, 1971)
- ...continuavano a chiamarlo Trinità (Trinity Is Still My Name, 1971)
- ...più forte ragazzi! (All the Way, Boys, 1972)
- Il vero e il falso (The Hassled Hooker, 1972)
- ...e poi lo chiamarono il Magnifico (Man of the East, 1972)
- Il mio nome è Nessuno (My Name Is Nobody, 1973)
- Porgi l'altra guancia (Two Missionaries, 1974)
- ...altrimenti ci arrabbiamo! (Watch Out, We're Mad!, 1974)
- Un genio, due compari, un pollo (A Genius, Two Partners and a Dupe, 1975)
- I due superpiedi quasi piatti (Crime Busters, 1977)
- Mr. Billion (1977)
- March or Die (1977)
- Pari e dispari (Odds and Evens, 1978)
- Io sto con gli ippopotami (I'm with the Hippos, 1979)
- Poliziotto superpiù (Super Fuzz, 1980)
- Chi trova un amico trova un tesoro (Who Finds a Friend Finds a Treasure, 1981)
- Nati con la camicia (Go for It, 1983)
- Don Camillo (The World of Don Camillo, 1983)
- Non c'è due senza quattro (Double Trouble, 1984)
- Miami Supercops (I poliziotti dell'8ª strada) (Miami Supercops, 1985)
- Renegade - Un osso troppo duro (They Call Me Renegade, 1987)
- Lucky Luke (1991)
- Lucky Luke (8 episodes, 1992)
- Botte di Natale (Troublemakers, 1994)
- Virtual Weapon (Cyberflick, 1997)
- Don Matteo (10 seasons/194 episodes, 2000–2016)
- L'uomo che sognava con le aquile (2006, TV)
- L'uomo che cavalcava nel buio (2009)
- Doc West (2009)
- Un passo dal cielo (46 episodes, 2010–2015)
He has directed several films as well as several television productions.
- "Terence Hill". The New York Times.
- Brennan, Sandra. "Terence Hill". The New York Times. Retrieved 11 May 2015.
- Wilske, Dirk (2005). "Der Italowestern - von der Gewalt zum Humor: Filmanalysen ausgewählter Beispiele". Google Books.[full citation needed]
- Paola Naldi (2007). "Il nuovo cinema cerca gloria," at La Repubblica [Bologna]. 29 August 2007. bologna.repubblica.it. Retrieved 11 May 2015. Quote: "Per il resto l´istituzione diretta da Gianluca Farinelli, impegnatissima a Bologna con la rassegna dedicata a Chaplin, sarà presente alla manifestazione semplicemente come prestatrice (attività che svolge tutto l´anno) facendo arrivare sul grande schermo veneziano due pellicole per la rassegna "Western all´Italiana": «Preparati la abara», girato nel 1968 da Ferdinando Baldi, con Terence Hill, Horst Frank, George Eastman, José Torres; «I sette del Texas», anno 1964, di Joaquin Luis Romero Marchent."
- "Fatta da voi... L'intervista di Terence con le vostre domande!!!". terencehill.it.
- Canby, Vincent (18 July 1974). "Il Mio nome e Nessuno (1974) 'My Name Is Nobody,' Puts Fabled West on Film:The Cast". The New York Times.
- Jeri Jacquin (8 October 2014). patch.com "Don Matteo: Season 7 & 8 from MHz International Mystery". Imperial Beach Patch. Retrieved 11 May 2015.
- Database (undated). "Terence Hill". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved 3 January 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Terence Hill.|