T. H. Irwin
|Born||21 April 1947|
|Alma mater||Magdalen College, Oxford |
Keble College, Oxford
|Doctoral advisor||Gregory Vlastos|
|Doctoral students||Jennifer Whiting, David O. Brink|
|Ancient philosophy, ethics|
Terence Henry Irwin FBA (//; born 21 April 1947), usually cited as T. H. Irwin, is a scholar and philosopher specializing in ancient Greek philosophy and the history of ethics (i.e., the history of Western moral philosophy in ancient, medieval, and modern times). He was the Professor of the History of Philosophy at the University of Oxford, and Fellow of Keble College, Oxford from 2007 until 2017.
Education and career
Irwin was an undergraduate at Magdalen College, Oxford, where he graduated with a BA (first-class honours) in Literae Humaniores (Classics, Philosophy and Ancient History) in 1969. He then studied at Princeton University with Gregory Vlastos, and graduated with a PhD in Philosophy in 1973. He was Assistant Professor of Philosophy at Harvard University (1972–1975) and then, from 1975 until 2007, he was at Cornell University, where he served as Susan Linn Sage Professor of Philosophy and Humane Letters (from 1995), Professor of Classics (from 1992), and Professor of Philosophy (from 1982). He moved to Oxford in 2007, and retired in 2017.
Irwin is a Fellow of both the American Academy of Arts and Sciences and the British Academy. He is married to Gail Fine, professor of philosophy at Cornell University and visiting professor of ancient philosophy at Oxford.
- Plato's Moral Theory. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1977. ISBN 0-19-824614-5
- Plato's Gorgias (translation and notes). Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1979. ISBN 0-19-872087-4
- Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics (translation and notes). Indianapolis: Hackett Publishing Company, 1985. ISBN 0-915145-65-0
- Aristotle's First Principles. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. ISBN 0-19-824717-6
- Classical Thought. OPUS Series. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. ISBN 0-19-219196-9
- Plato's Ethics. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1995. ISBN 0-19-508644-9
- The Development of Ethics, Vol. 1 (from Socrates to the Reformation). Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2007. ISBN 978-0-19-824267-3
- The Development of Ethics, Vol. 2 (from Suarez to Rousseau). Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2008. ISBN 978-0-19-954327-4
- The Development of Ethics, Vol. 3 (from Kant to Rawls). Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2009. ISBN 978-0-19-957178-9
In addition, Irwin has published almost 100 essays and articles in journals and volumes of conference proceedings.
- ‘IRWIN, Prof. Terence Henry’, Who's Who 2013, A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc, 2013; online edn, Oxford University Press, Dec 2012 ; online edn, Nov 2012 accessed 22 May 2013
- See Prof. Irwin's CV and List of Publications, p. 1 Archived 2011-06-11 at the Wayback Machine
- See The Bulletin of the American Academy, Fall 2008, p. 114
- "Conference celebrates ancient philosophy, Fine and Irwin | Cornell Chronicle". News.cornell.edu. 2013-09-10. Retrieved 2014-04-20.
- See Prof. Irwin's CV and List of Publications, pp. 2–6 Archived 2011-06-11 at the Wayback Machine